TiVo pre purchase questions.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin Day, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Kevin Day

Kevin Day Auditioning

Jan 13, 2002
    I am in the market for some sort of PVR device to maximize my TV watching. I'm tired of wasting my evening flipping through channels and not watching anything worth while because everything I wanted to see was on while I was at work. As it stands, there is absolutely no way my other half is going to let me pay even more for TV, so the TiVo premium service is out of the question.

I've recently been introduced to TiVo basic, however, and this may prove to be a great option. The Toshiba SD-H400 appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's the one problem. We decided to get rid of our landline phone service over a year ago, and we're quite happy we did. I know that TiVo must be able to sync data in order to receive program listings, and that this is done over the telephone line. I've heard, however, that this can also be accomplished over ethernet. Now, I'm a major computer nerd, so my house has yards of Cat 5 running all over the place and a wireless network as well. The question is, if I were to purchase this unit, is it going to work with a usb -> ethernet adaptor? I've had several people inform me that I would be good to go, just plug it in and it'll work just like it was connected to a phone line. I've also had several people tell me that I'll need to set it up with a telephone line first (no biggie, I'll borrow someone's for 20 minutes), then I can set it to sync programming data over my home network. I've also had people tell me that the only way to use ethernet to update TiVo data is if I use the home media option and pay for the TiVo premium service.

The only way I'm buying this thing is if it will download tivo basic service over ehternet.

So, what's the real deal? Anyone have any experience?
    Thanks in advance...
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    Home media option is now included with full TiVo service; there is no separate charge.

I've never used TiVo Basic, but according to TiVo's website, it does include broadband connectivity. But you might want to contact customer support to be sure.