What's new

TiVo or Replay with a cable box (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking of buying either a TiVo or Replay but had a question about using this with my digitial cable box.
How would I set it up and still use the TiVo or Replay's channel guide? I need the cable box to tune my extra channels and movie channels, PPV, and so on. The guy at Best Buy was no help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tivo has two ways to control your cable box. The most accurate is by a serial connection. It will always turn to the correct channel. Unfortunately, very few cable boxes have a serial connector. The most common way is an IR blaster. The Tivo will send the IR signal to the cable box to change the channel by just blasting it through the room or through a cable with the IR emitter taped to the front of the cable box. This is not always accurate and you may have incorrect channel changes. Check over at Tivo Community for specifics about your cable box and how it will connect.

I think Replay uses the same channel changing techniques.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks