TIVO or Replay TV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ken R, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Ken R

Ken R Auditioning

I've searched for posts on this topic, but haven't found answers yet. Finally, I'm resorting to a new thread to ask the question.

For Christmas, I bought my wife a Replay TV device. I haven't opened the box yet and am considering taking it back for refund based on information I may learn here.

Which is preferred??? Replay TV or Tivo? Seems that TIVO may be more popular, but I just don't know. Are they competing companies for the same market? Are there advantages.disadvantages to one or the other?

Can anyone help me decide?

Ken

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You need to look in the Personal Video and DVD Recorders forum, where I'm moving this thread. There are already several threads on the topic.

Also, it might help if you indicated which ReplayTV model you bought.

M.

3. Ken R

Ken R Auditioning

Thank you, I'll go there now and search some more.

Ken

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

What would help most is if you specified what sources you wish to record from, whether you are considering switching content providers (e.g. cable to satellite), and whether high-definition programming is a factor.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm going to leave this thread open, though, because the PVR world changes so rapidly that the old comparisons are always worth revisiting.

Me, I'm pretty much committed to TiVo, since it met my needs when I first signed up over three years ago -- and once you've bought one of those "lifetime" subscriptions, there's very little incentive to switch. In the meantime, Replay has gone through several generations of player (and changes of ownership). If I'd been looking about 18 months ago, I would have taken a hard look at the Replay 4000 units, but I suspect those aren't around anymore.

There are also lots of new PVR competitors, as the various cable companies seek to provide PVR capabilties integrated with their cable boxes. Over the next year or two, that's going to change the landscape significantly.

M.

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Well that and we need to know if you have Sat. Tivo w/ DirectTv is an insane combo and will revolutionize the way you watch and treat tv.

It will completely liberate you from committing to "Must See TV" on thursdays and will allow you to watch shows more efficiently by skipping past all the commercials.

Half hour shows are reduced to 20 mins
    Hour shows are reduced to 45 mins

Needless to say, I'm very happy w/ mine (DTivo)

7. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Me too, if you have DirecTV it's the only way to go.

8. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I'm on the other side of the fence. I have replaytv and Directv and love it. I bought my first one about 3 years ago (a Panasonic 2000 I think it is..paid $299 after rebate and includes lifetime subscription) so that I could record High Def shows downconverted, which looks much better than the standard def channels, in my opinion anyway.

I upgraded to a new Replay about 5 months ago because my wife and I needed to be able to record on two different channels at the same time. So the new 5040 went in the living room and I moved the Panasonic to the office. I have to pay a monthly fee for the newest replay, but it only cost me like $149 new, so I can't realy complain.

Either way you go, it definitely changes the way you watch tv.

Probably the only way I would switch away from Replaytv is if I add the HDTivo when it comes available or I switch to Dish and get the 921...decisions, decisions.

Neal