Tivo New User Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James Edward, Apr 27, 2006.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I am attempting to set up a Tivo unit for someone, and among other things, I can't get the channel changing function to work. This unit, a Sony SVR3000, was previously used with a DirecTV set top box. Here are some probably stupid questions:

It keeps asking me if I am using a Scientific Atlanta SATELLITE box, but it is a CABLE box- does Tivo make the distinction between sat and cable?

Should I go through the entire 'guided setup' routine?

And how do I set up the 'save to VCR function? Without an IR blaster at the VCR, how can it record, other than manually?

Please, any thoughts are greatly appreciated. The woman is a hardcore Tivo user, and wants it back as soon as possible. Thank you...

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It makes a distinction between boxes so it can know the remote codes. SA may make satellite boxes. Re-run the guided setup to make sure you get the proper settings. The "Save to VCR" is not an automatic setup. That option is there to disable some remote control commands and put a title screen at the beginning of the recording. I still have to press the record button on my DVD-R when I save something.

If you need more help about making it work with the SA box, then www.tivocommunity.com is the place to look.

-Robert

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Thank you Robert- I reran the guided setup, and there I could choose SA as a CABLE box, and it then changed channels.
    From your Tivo community link, I learned that:
    Since it is a Sony Tivo, there was an 'auto-record' function that could be set up. I just had to have an IR emitter in front of the Sony VCR's IR receiver, and it would turn on, go into record mode, and record from the Tivo unit.
    Thank you. She is now a very happy Tivo user again.