Tivo--how to record only new shows?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I don't know where to post this since there is no longer a PDR area. I've been recording a lot more programming, so I would like to free up space before some are automatically deleted. I have The Tonight Show and Conan as season passes. I want to know how I can record only the new episodes (the repeats consume 2 hours of medium quality space a day)? I set it to record only first run shows in the season pass menu, but it still records the repeats in the really late hours.

~T

2. Dax Scott

Dax Scott Stunt Coordinator

I have that problem with a few shows too. Did you ever look at the description of the repeated late-night episodes? There isn't one.

Since TiVo can't tell if the episode is a new one or a repeat without that information, it records the show to be safe. To avoid recording the late repeats, there are two things you can try:

1) Cancel your season pass. Set up a manual recording of NBC at 11:30. The downside is that if the show is ever delayed, TiVo won't compensate like it would with the season pass.

2) Once a week, go through your list of programs that will be recorded and tell TiVo not to record the late repeats. The downside is that you have to keep doing this every week, and that gets old in a hurry.

If someone else offers you a better solution, please share it. I'm always looking for new TiVo tricks. Good luck!

3. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

Yep, the same problem here. We (my girlfriend and I) have this problem with Conan and shows on MTV that we watch (Real World etc). Conan is not too big a problem. I have a season pass for that. My girlfriend usually will go through and delete all of the repeat ones but even if she doesn't it's a show I watch everyday so I just delete the repeat promptly the next day. If you were recording a whole week of shows that would cause a problem though. I only record it at basic quality too. For MTV shows the season pass doesn't really work cause they are on like 10 times a week and I only want to record them once. For that we just use the manual recording option.

If you really don't feel like deleting the shows from the to do list prior to recording or deleting the shows promptly the next day I would just set up a manual recording time from 11:35pm to 2am. That way you are covered if it's delayed a bit and you are only recording a half hour extra (and hey you can watch the Carson Daily show ha).

Overall I think Tivo handles this pretty well. If it's not provided the correct info about shows it can't really be expected to know. I think my biggest complaint about the Tivo (which I have VERY few cause I love the thing) is that is doesn't really give you the option to record partial shows. Like a lot of the shows we tape we pad a min or two at the beginning. If a season pass starts at 11 and is padded a min if I tell Tivo to record a hour long show that starts at 10 it won't because that show ends at 11pm and another show starts at 10:59. I would like the option to say it's okay, only record the first 59 mins of this show.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

M.

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thanks guys. I will delete them from the To Do List.

~T