TIVO - How do I use for both DTV & Cable at the same time??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stewart Summers, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Stewart Summers

Stewart Summers Auditioning

Hi, My wife and I are seriously considering TIVO, but have a potential problem. We have DirectTV for most programming, but basic cable for our locals (since not the locals we want are on DirecTV).

1. I believe that if you buy the TIVO with the directv receiver, you can only record shows from the dish. Is this correct?

2. If I buy a standard TIVO, can I record shows from directv?? if so, how? and will I be able to use the programming guide. probably not.

I guess what I really want is a Tivo that has both a cable receiver and a directv receiver in the same unit. I don't think I'll hold my breath.

My only solution may be to purchase a TIVO with the DirecTV receiver and then add the local channels to my service, that my be the quick fix. BUT NOT UPN. DARN !!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Stunt Coordinator

1. You are correct - the DirecTiVo only records DTV source, no cable.

2. A stand alone unit such as the Philips or Sony 30 hour units will work well for you. It can record both cable and DTV, and integrate everything into its own guide (which blows away the DTV one).

3. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

If UPN is the only reason you are holding out on getting a DirecTiVo, then your problem may soon be solved. UPN is slated to be added to the DTVs local line ups in many major markets sometime in the next few months. Why not wait until the end of January at least and see what is shaping up in your area before making a final decision about this? Because the standalone TiVo wil further compress your DTV signal, you may not be happy with the quality of the recordings you get with a SA unit. If picture quality is not an issue then go ahead and buy the standalone. I presently have a similar problem with DTV and UPN but am simply using a vcr hooked to the cable for recording UPN programs while I wait for DTV's promised addition of UPN in the LA market sometime in January. Everything else I record off DTV using DirecTiVo and I really love it.

Hope that helps,

Deborah

4. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

Another hint. If you have more than one DirecTiVo, you only pay one TiVo sub fee. If you have more than one SA TiVo, you pay a sub fee for each unit. So 2 DirecTiVos with local service is cheaper than DirecTV using 2 receivers and 2 SA TiVos, even without the cable fee's added in. Also, DirecTiVos can record 2 shows at the same time, where SA TiVo only records one show at a time.