TIVO HD for DirectTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Far, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Jim Far

Jim Far Extra

Anyone heard anything about anyone building one of these units besides Hughes???? I was hoping Sony would come out with one and heard a rumor about a Sony HD Tivo with 7 tuners and 50 HD hours of recording time. Any truth to this????

2. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

7 Tuners? Wowzers. my Hughes only has 4 (2 ota and 2 dtv). Regardless, I do recomend the Hughes, as it works great!

Mike

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

There is a Sony PVR (non-Tivo, cableCARD compatible) with 500 GB hard drive announced, which would be > 50 hrs HD recording time. But I don't know where you heard this "7 tuners" bit; that doesn't make any sense.

As for actual HD-Tivos, I don't know why one would want to wait for other than Hughes, as all the DirecTivos of the same generation in the past have been essentially identical except for exterior cosmetics and sometimes hard drive size. There's no particular advantage to getting one brand over another for these.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since Sony hasn't had a DirecTivo model since the first generation ones were out, it's not likely. Also, all of the DirecTivos (SD models) are the same. The Sony's just shipped with a different remote, different background images and a price that was double the other brands.

-Robert

5. Jim Far

Jim Far Extra

Thanks for all the comments. My neighbor owns the Hughes and the recording is awesome!! I just prefer the Sony guide on my HD receiver. I have been reading about the Hughes on Tivocommunity.com and some folks have been having trouble with hard drives dying. I'm still undecided on dropping such a huge chunk of change on a box that's fairly new.