What's new

TiVo - Frozen Recording! (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I just got my TiVo as a Valentine's Day gift, and like probably everyone here, fell in love with it.
My only issue so far - it recorded an episode of "In the Actor's Studio" as a suggestion. While watching it, about 12 minutes in, the recording froze. The only way to get around it was to fast forward through the moment.
This error is repeatable, in exactly the same place.
My question is this - is this just an occasional glitch, or could it be indicative of a bad spot on the hard drive? I'd like feedback on this while my TiVo is still new and under warranty.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Bleddyn
------------------

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Any possibility it was the source that froze? (i.e. the actual program froze up for awhile)
Otherwise, I dunno...
------------------
"Ahhh...the Luftwaffe... The Washington Generals of the History Channel..."

Jodee

Screenwriter
Sometimes my cable box glitches-- when it pixelates and loses signal for a while. Usually my Replay doesn't record this, so occasionally during playback I will see the scene "jump" over the bad spot.
I have never seen it freeze, though. Once when I was playing around with something while it was recording, I accidentally turned off the cable box and Replay recorded about 10 seconds of black space.
------------------
Jodee/Andy

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Hi guys.
I believe the flaw to be the recording, not the source - the TiVo freezes and will not play forward without coaxing past the spot. If it were a poor source, it would play on, no?
Bleddyn
------------------

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks, Jasen-
I have in fact already tried two of your ideas.
1- I called TiVo Customer Support. Was told that even a freeze in a recording doesn't necessarily mean a hard drive problem. TiVo's are computer-like devices and they will glitch occasionally. He said to call back if the problem was recurring.
2- Joined the TiVo Forum. There was a bit of scepticism about whether this was a blow-off answer, but a couple of people chipped in with to support the theory that it wasn't worth worrying about unless it recurs.
Hopefully this info will be helpful to others.
Bleddyn
------------------

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I had the same sort of problem once, but I happened to catch it in when it froze. I left the Tivo alone for about 10 minutes and nothing changed. I tried to access the menus and stuff but eventually just wound up unplugging it. I thought I might have had a bad sector on my disk so I erased all the programming I had and set it to record for 14 hours (to fill up the drive), but it didn't show any signs of a problem and it hasn't happened to me since so my guess is there is probably some very small glitch in the systems OS. I'm really surprised there aren't more problems with the system as complicated as it is. Thanks, Chris
------------------
Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks