What's new

TiVo/Dish 6000/Lexicon MC-8 - issues and questions (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have a Dish 6000 receiver connected with S-video to the Sat input on the MC-8. The component cables run directly from the 6000 to the Monitor.Audio is via toslink to the MC-8. The VCR is connected directly to the Lex. The Panny RP-91 is connected directly to the Monitor to via component cables.The Monitor is connected to the Lex to the TV input. What is the best way to connect the Tivo to my system. The Tivo was a gift I gave my mom for X-mas. She switched from Dish to Direct TV and got the Direct TV receiver with the Tivo built in so she gave me the Phillips Tivo. The Tivo has1 set of inputs and 2 sets of outputs. Composite audio and S-video. 1 RF in and 1 RF out. To what unit do I run the phone line the Dish 6000 or the Tivo? As you see I need help. This is my first experience with Tivo.
Thanks,
Steve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moving this to Personal Video Recorders.

I'm not familiar with Dish 6000, but TiVo must be connected to the phone line (or a home network) to access the TiVo service.

I run S-video and L&R analog outs from TiVo to the MC-8. You mentioned the "monitor out" connections from the MC-8, but didn't indicate whether those connections are component, S-video or composite. You'll need one of the latter two.

As for the TiVo's input, I presume you'll want to run a connection from Dish 6000 and also set up TiVo to control the channel changes. But someone else familiar with Dish 6000 will have to provide the specifics. There's a larger "philosophical" question of whether you want to route the Dish 6000 exclusively through the TiVo or have alternate connections, one running from Dish 6000 through TiVo to the MC-8, and the other running directly from Dish 6000 to the MC-8. That's what I have with my digital cable box, and it gets a bit complicated.

M.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Split the phone line to both.

Use the Toslink when viewing HDTV directly from the Dish 6000, bypassing the Tivo.

Run another set of S-video + audio from Dish 6000 to Tivo, and from Tivo to another input on the MC-8, to use Tivo when not watching HD live.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I was given a Tivo when my Mom switched to a Direct TV Tivo.I have the Dish 6000 HD receiver.If I connect the Tivo do I lose 5.1 audio in Standard Definition? Also is the signal going to be degraded seeing how I have to run the 6000 to the Tivo then connect to the MC-8? Trying to figure out if its worth it to pause live TV and the $13 a month it costs to do this.
Thanks
STeve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have combined your two threads under a single title. Please ask any follow-up questions regarding TiVo and Dish 6000 in this thread.

If I connect the Tivo do I lose 5.1 audio in Standard Definition?
A standalone TiVo can only handle 2-channel analog audio. To keep the 5.1 audio, you have to watch the broadcast "live" and run connections directly from the Dish 6000 to the MC-8.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks