TiVo: Can I get away with not buying a subscription?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lane F., Sep 26, 2001.

1. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I am considering purchasing the TiVo to replace my broken VCR. I realize how great the service is and everything, but can I still use the basic functions (record, pause, etc) of the TiVo without the subscription?
    Thanks!

2. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

Unless they have changed the software recently...yes you can use the unit without a subscription. You will not get any of the database features such as titles, schedules and descriptions...but it will function just like a VCR...manually entering the channel, start and stop times...etc.
    But the general feeling (mine included) is that the info that comes with the subscription is well worth it!
    Eric

3. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Would it still allow me to program it to record a show in advance, or every monday from 8pm-9pm for example? Would the pause live tv feature still work?
    I'm trying to decide between replacing my broken vcr, or getting the TiVo because of the higher quality recording (and not having to find a blank tape when I want to record something quick). But I am not intrested in subscribing to their service (at least right now).
    Thanks,
    Lane
    [Edited last by Lane F. on September 27, 2001 at 12:07 AM]

4. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

I thought that Tivo have just changed their software, and have just changed the ability to use it without subscribing - at least for new users?
    This happened in the UK at launch - we can only do trick play with no subscription, the manual programming is disabled. I think I remember someone mentioning that the same was going to happen to new US TiVos too.
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you should check it out. www.avsforum.com is a good place to ask, they have a TiVo section.

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

quote: I'm trying to decide between replacing my broken vcr, or getting the TiVo because of the higher quality recording (and not having to find a blank tape when I want to record something quick). But I am not intrested in subscribing to their service (at least right now[/quote]
    I'd have to honestly say Don't bother with the TiVo if you're not going to subscribe. The manual User Interface is clumsy, you'll never know what show you recorded if there's a list because there'll be no names or anything. And you'll still have to dump it out to videotape if you want to archive anything. You'll also lose most of the ability to record a show while watching another (unless you do it exactly manually), and you'll lose the one-touch recording (i.e. you'll have to manually record everything, there's no "just hitting record") as well as the great TiVo suggestions and the searchable database.
    The beauty of TiVo is in the service, that's what makes the whole thing worthwhile. If it's the cost that's keeping you from subscribing, then you're probably better off with a decent VCR.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's
    [Edited last by RicP on September 27, 2001 at 08:52 AM]

6. RandyL

RandyL Agent

GET A REPLAYTV!
    They go for $200-300 on EBAY and have no subscription fees. I'm one of the many who owned both Tivo and ReplayTV and chose ReplayTV for a lot of reasons...
    Check out the ReplayTV forum at AVS Forum

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

HTF has a specific forum for TiVo, Replay, etc. It's called "Personal Data Recorders", and this question has come up on several occasions. Examples:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000197.html http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000213.html http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000221.html
    But I agree with Ric: It's not worth having TiVo if you don't plan to use the service. The service is what makes it convenient. It appears that units sold today lose functionality if you don't take the service, but I can't confirm that from personal experience, since I've had the service from day 1.
    As for Replay, it's true that there's no subscription fee, but that's because the fee was built into the price of the unit, so that Replay units usually cost more. I'm sure Randy is right that you can get a bargain now that Replay has gotton out of the hardware business. But first you should look a little more closely at the various features offered by each service. I did that when I bought last year, and I chose TiVo.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 27, 2001 at 09:13 AM]

8. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Moving to the Personal Data Recorders section...

9. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    As an owner of both Tivo and Replay, I can assure you that you won't be getting your money's worth if you don't get the service. If your biggest concern is price, then get a Replay, as they are as cheap or cheaper than Tivos without the need to purchase an additional subscription (the service is included).
    While I think the Tivo is overall the better unit, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Replay if it meant saving a couple of hundred bucks.
    Hanson