What's new

TiVo and Spousal Acceptance Factor (1 Viewer)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I used Christmas money to buy myself a DirecTV/TiVo unit. I've been wanting one for a long time but kept hitting the Spousal Acceptance Wall. She was none too happy to have yet another electronic device to master.

Flashback to last May, 2003. My wife Julie's garden was featured on a show called Southwest Yard and Garden. It's broadcast on some minor PBS station, I never knew which one. The producers promised to mail us a tape and never did. So we'd never seen the episode featuring Julie.

A couple of days ago, I programmed TiVo to find and record Southwest Yard and Garden whenever, wherever it was on. It recorded three shows.

I checked the shows yesterday and voila, there was Julie's episode! Instant Spousal Acceptance for TiVo!

Jan

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My wife is a big fan of our Directivo as well...she keeps asking "when are the local channels coming!?" so she can tape network stuff(not in Tulsa yet)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Alf,
I have the same problem right now. If Directv doesn't come thru shortly I'm going to be forced to make other moves.

I love my Directivo though.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac

Rule #1: The PVR is the man's domain only!

She doesn't need to know how to operate it; in fact, it should seem so complicated and intimitating that she won't even want to mess with it. Make sure she has a nice TV in the bedroom and the problem is solved.

You don't want spouses or children involved with the PVR! They will want to record all manner of foolishness and things will never be the same again.

Jasmine Meathe

Stunt Coordinator
Hey--that's not true. I'm happily married and my husband and I both WaNTED a Tivo..and I know more about it than him. He knows a lot too, but since I know more, he leaves it up to me to mess with. What features do you guys like the best? I'm a fan of the Season's Pass option..

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I definitely go with Spousal Inclusion whenever possible. You can spend twice as much, twice as often.

Jan

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm with you Jan. My wife got me a Tivo for Christmas. We both love it. The first thing I did was setup a Season Pass for each of her soaps. Now she just skims through 'em, watching only the parts that she's interested, and deletes them when she's done.

Now to get her to spring for a few hard drives... :)

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
My comments were made tongue-in -cheek (although they are true). They mirror a bit that was done on The Ticket, our local sports talk radio station here in big D (it has a dicidedly male bent). I thought it was really funny, but then again, you have to have a warped sense of humor to laugh at some of their stuff.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I listened to the ticket in Dallas once. Actually, I think you need no sense of humor to laugh at their stuff.

Regarding the wife acceptance (and family), just buy them each their own. We have two directivo's in the living room, one in our bedroom and one in my office. Works out great.

Stew

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
My wife absolutely loves our directivo and always tells our friends that they need one. So after you get one she will love it. But my wife was concerned with the new device to learn but now she hates watching regular regular directv.

My wife loves our DirecTivo. Out of all the electronics, this is the one that she talks to her friends and family about. She even sat her mother down to teach her how to use it when we go on dates. Now she has one!

If you have kids, you owe it to yourself to get them their own Tivo. I wouldn't be able to watch TV if they didn't have there own because they would be watching our TV all the time. My kids are now old enough to record any show they want (well within the guidelines of the parental lock I set up).

My wife was telling our neighbor down the street (who has a new born and a 3 year old) why she needed a Tivo (all the late night feedings). Well she bought one for her husband for Christmas (he wasn't even asking for it). It is really for her!

Ron A.

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
My wife loved our first Tivo so much she made me go buy another for the bedroom!

David Nelson

Auditioning
I've started to believe that my wife now loves her own Tivo more than she loves me. Possibly because I occasionally forget things, and her Tivo does not. :)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Just one quick update: Southwest Yard and Garden did finally send a tape.

I feel like a shill for TiVo when I talk about it, but it's truly one of the best home video products ever. The manual is also terrific...why can't they all be written this well?

I'll admit that when TiVo first came out, my reaction was a big, "Huh?" I didn't think it had a prayer of succeeding.

Now (since we're in touchy-feely mode) I feel as if I've gotten out of a psychotic, dysfunctional relationship with my television and into a warm, nurturing one.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks