TIVO and PC computers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ian_H, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I have a couple of questions about the latest TIVO boxes and/or future TIVO boxes that someone may have heard about. I see that TIVO can now use broadband access for the programming menus which is a good thing since I have ditched using telephone land lines. Here is what I want to know. When TIVO records a program I am assuming it records said program as an MPEG2 file. If that is correct are there any TIVO boxes out there that I can take the files and dump into my PC for editing and/or DVD burning? Thsnks for any help.

--Ian

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Sure. See info at the Tivo website on TivoToGo and over at www.tivocommunity.com in the TivoToGo section.

Series 2 standalones can do this, but not the DirecTV models or the DVD-burner combo models.

3. Dave Crane

Dave Crane Auditioning

I think you are misinformed about broadband connectivity as a standard feature of any TiVo box, despite the USB connectors on the back. But there are hacks that allow broadband connectivity. All the details are in one or more of the forums at www dot tivocommunity dot com.

The "DirecTiVo" (that's a nickname, not the real monicker) records in exactly what the satellites transmit, which is MPEG2 for the SD satellites. Dumping any TiVo to a DVD recorder is possible, but may require a hack, depending on the recorder. VCRs and DVD burners are a simple matter, just do a recording while playing it in real time. Going to a PC is possible, but too complicated to review here. See the TiVo Community forums.