Tivo and Panasonic E80?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jon Martin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Hi everyone,

Thanks to the advice of everyone here, I got a Panasonic E80 last year and am loving. it. Just a great machine.

Now, I've been thinking about getting TiVo. I realize the hard drive works about the same way, but am very interested in some of the features that Tivo has.

My question is, can you take what is stored on Tivo and burn it to DVD without a major loss in picture quality? Are there copy protections built in to Tivo programs to prevent recording of them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

None that I know of.

M.

3. Jon Martin

Thanks!

One other question, how many speeds are on the Tivo? The main unit says 40 hours. Is that at the best quality and it holds more at lower speeds?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No, that's 40 hours at the lowest quality, which you'll almost never use. For a chart listing the recording capability at various levels of quality go here. (BTW, I generally find the "medium" setting satisfactory, but not everyone agrees.)

M.

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Picture quality loss depends on which type of Tivo you are getting. Michael's answers are accurate for the standalone type of Tivo recording from cable. But if you got the satellite combo DirecTV DVR "DirecTivo", either the standard or the new HD one coming out in about a week, there would be no additional loss from the Tivo since it's making a "perfect" bit-for-bit recording from the digital source. Your result would be the same as recording to the DVD from a non-Tivo DirecTV receiver. It's worth considering for the substantial price break and dual recording, if you don't live in an apartment or something that would make installation difficult.

6. Jon Martin

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help. I got a TiVo this weekend and am loving it.

Hooked up quite easily with my Panasonic E80. No conflict problems. Playing great.

Thanks again for all your help!