TiVo and Netflix teaming up?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Slade, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Yea, and as soon as they start sending uncompressed, enhanced for 16:9, OAR movies, and provide a Tivo with high quality decoding and ability to send progressive scan signal via component or dvi, then I might show some interest.

Of couse, they also have to provide unlimited downloads for $20/month, with no requirement to buy the Tivo PVR service on top of that. And of course, the Tivo can't cost more than a quality dvd player

What do you think the chances are of that happening?

3. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I hadn't thought about all that. Not sure about the progressive output on Tivo's. Doesn't seem like something they would add anytime soon to stand-alones. But I'm not sure how the new HD Tivo's work. Maybe it's something they could do with those or perhaps the DirecTV Tivo's.

As far as the subscription, the article mentioned you would have to subscribe to Tivo and Netflix. I don't see any other way for it to work, if they are doing this together

And for their DVD rentals Netflix is always OAR in my experience so maybe they could try to carry that over.

Anyway, this doesn't really appeal to me I just thought it was interesting. I'm perfectly happy with my individual subscriptions to Netflix and Tivo.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

HD Tivo can already do all that (in the case of OAR, as long as the content provider does so).

Unfortunately, all the HMO stuff that would be required to get the data to the box is disabled in ALL DirecTivo's, HDTivo included.

IIRC, all existing HD transmissions (OTA, satellite, cable) as well as existing DVD are compressed to one degree or another, so when you say uncompressed, I am not sure that the bandwidth exists to support that. Even Blue Ray and HD-DVD will require some form of compression, will they not?

BGL

5. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Uncompressed ain't gonna happen - it would require too much bandwidth.

If the goal is to stream DVD-quality (MPEG-2) video to the Tivo boxes, I don't see how Tivo will be able to do this because of the bandwidth requirements, at least not in real-time. Perhaps some scheme where the user places the order and then comes back the next day or two to watch it after it's finished downloading? Real-time might be doable at SVCD/VCD-quality. I think it's a good idea if they can pull it off.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Isn't Disney/Samsung already doing this (at less than DVD quality) with MovieBeam (I think thats what its called)? And I think they are piggy-backing on the existing Digital TV system to get the data to the box.

The concept is pretty cool. If they could do it at DVD quality or better, and the price was comparable with NetFlix or the Video Store, I might be willing to give it a try.

BGL

7. Jean Weitzmann

Jean Weitzmann Stunt Coordinator

This is already available on combo units (DVD Player+Tivo, DVD Recorder+Tivo) from Pioneer and Toshiba, at least. (at least one of the Pioneer units even uses the Sage/Faroudja DCDi chip)

JW