TIVO and HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Middlemiss, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I have a TIVO and a Toshiba 65H81. I also have DISH network satellite. I get terrible picture quality from DISH. Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of my picture. I think it is because I am running it through my TIVO? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Neil

2. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Stunt Coordinator

How does it look if you bypass the TiVo and run straight from the Dish receiver? How do you have everything connected? If you are running SVideo from the dish receiver to the TiVo, and SVideo from the TiVo to the tv you should not see any real picture quality degradation.

3. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, you probably won't get any improvement by running it through a Tivo first... and in fact it may degrade the picture slightly. The reason that Dish's picture quality dropped, is that they are getting ready for must carry laws to require that they carry an additional 300 or so local channels for the various localities that they currently serve. Think of all the WB and UPN stations that will be added. They have a plan to launch another satellite to relieve this problem, but that won't go up till at least March or so. DirecTv launched their additional spot beam satellite last week, so they're in good shape come the deadline of Jan 1st.
    Probably the only thing that will cause a drastic improvement may be a line doubler... but I don't know about that because I don't have that problem. I'm using a much smaller TV with a DirecTivo unit.
    Hope that helps to explain it.
    Jim

4. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Thanks for your help!!!!