What's new

TiVo and DVRs in general are slowly dying (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
From your description it sounds to me like Rogers ignite is an IPTV solution which TiVo is going to have to add if they want to stay in business.

If Tivo is still outsourcing their hardware design/manufacturing to Arris, in principle they can just jerry rig a current Arris set-top box model (such as the 6102W ) with an old school dvr type subsystem + hard drive.

(Commscope bought up Arris back in 2019).

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
From your description it sounds to me like Rogers ignite is an IPTV solution which TiVo is going to have to add if they want to stay in business.
I'm not familiar with Rogers ignite, but what TJPC describes as its features is pretty much what my TiVo Edge for Cable does now. Except of course provide the cable stations (the streaming apps are supported). Does Rogers allow pausing live TV, skipping ads, etc.? Is there a subscription premium for those features?

The biggest downside for me when I upgraded to the new TiVo was the cost not features, so if Rogers provides the same features as well as TiVo without the cost, that would add more to the cons column in deciding to replace an old TiVo set with a new one. I replaced mine and got the Edge because Spectrum doesn't have anything close to TiVo features, those they do have are not done as well as TiVo does them, and yet they (Spectrum) do charge a premium to do it less well compared to TiVo. That said, it is clear TiVo has challenges to meet to survive.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I'm not familiar with Rogers ignite, but what TJPC describes as its features is pretty much what my TiVo Edge for Cable does now. Except of course provide the cable stations (the streaming apps are supported). Does Rogers allow pausing live TV, skipping ads, etc.? Is there a subscription premium for those features?

The biggest downside for me when I upgraded to the new TiVo was the cost not features, so if Rogers provides the same features as well as TiVo without the cost, that would add more to the cons column in deciding to replace an old TiVo set with a new one. I replaced mine and got the Edge because Spectrum doesn't have anything close to TiVo features, those they do have are not done as well as TiVo does them, and yet they (Spectrum) do charge a premium to do it less well compared to TiVo. That said, it is clear TiVo has challenges to meet to survive.

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_124720.jpg
    IMG_20210509_124720.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 88

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
With Rogers Ignite, you definately can ff through commercials, pause and re-wind live TV etc. Our Attachments are different, with Crave but no Hulu etc.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So rather than waiting for the inevitable, I am killing off our TiVo by cutting the Cable TV cord -- we were spending well over $200 a month for Spectrum Internet plus one step above the minimum TV Chanel feed. It didn't make sense -- just switched to RCN aka Astound for $48 a month giving us triple the Internet speed, but are dumping the TV portion altogether.

My only problem, the TiVo, having lost its cable input, is now refusing to play back its 3TB worth of reordered material or let me download it to my Mac via cTiVo. Maybe I just need to reboot it...or -- just accept the full cord cut now... Any ideas?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So rather than waiting for the inevitable, I am killing off our TiVo by cutting the Cable TV cord -- we were spending well over $200 a month for Spectrum Internet plus one step above the minimum TV Chanel feed. It didn't make sense -- just switched to RCN aka Astound for $48 a month giving us triple the Internet speed, but are dumping the TV portion altogether.

My only problem, the TiVo, having lost its cable input, is now refusing to play back its 3TB worth of reordered material or let me download it to my Mac via cTiVo. Maybe I just need to reboot it...or -- just accept the full cord cut now... Any ideas?
I'd certainly reboot it.

Failing that, possibly if you are tech inclined, maybe you can remove the drive and extract the files directly. I doubt it though. A search on the Google machine might be in order for options.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not an expert, but I thought even without active service that you could watch any shows recorded as if from a stand-alone hard drive. But I could be wrong.

I'll find out at the end of the month as I have an older Tivo that will lapse in service around the 26th. Nothing especially important on there, but I was hoping to watch some of it before I recycle the unit. I know it hasn't been connected to the Tivo update service for months, but it still seems to allow me to watch the shows I'd recorded.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That doesn't sound right, but I'll see if I can find something.

Which model is it? If it a unit that allows OTA and Cable, it's possible you could re-run the directed setup and change to an ANT input (if you don't have an actual antenna just attach a spare Coax Cable to the input) assuming the unit just wants to be hooked up to something.

I don;t think doing the Directed Setup erases old recording. I know there is a different think to ERASE EVERYTHING AND START OVER, but it usually warns you a couple times on that issue

EDIT: I checked a couple TIVO specific forums and couldn't anything that would prevent you from watching Prerecorded material.
Are you getting an error message or just not able to get the recordings to open?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks