What's new

TIVO and cable signal (1 Viewer)

bob_bolin

Auditioning
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did a search and I am more confused than previously. I have an RCA direct view set with no PIP. I have basic cable with no exterior box, I use the TVs cable ready tuner for all access. I have a DD 5.1 receiver which I run a DVD player and VHS player through S-video to the monitor. I would like to ditch the VHS for a TIVO, but I am a little confused. I know by default you can't watch one show and tape another (but you can watch a show already recorded on TIVO and record another). Unfortunately this conflicts with some of my needs. I would like to be able to watch another channel while TIVO records a seperate channel (ala, I have a a tv/vcr switch on my VHS that allows this). So I was thinking, would the following work... could I put a splitter on the cable, one pathnto the T.V and the other to the TIVO? I figure I can hook up the TIVO to the remaing S-vieo input on my receiver (SAT) and switch over when I want to view stuff on the PVR. This would leave the T.V.s tuner free and give a clear signal to the TIVO tuner. If I put it on a T.V. with PIP would this work? I'm not a total home theater newbie, but this has me confused. If this would work, is there a specific type of splitter I should use? Avoid? Any potential issues with signal quality? I don't have a ton of money to sink into this, but I would love the convenience that TIVO offers. Any input would be appreciated.

aligas

Auditioning
You can split the RF and make one run to the set and one run to the TiVo without issue.

Have fun!

- Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks