Tivo and broadband downloads?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Quinn, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

As far as I am aware, you need a land based phone line for schedule downloads, etc. I am interested in finally getting Tivo, but I use a cell and Vonage (voice over IP). Therefore, I do not believe I can use Tivo. ReplayTV offers downloads/updates via broadband. Does Tivo offer this? Any idea if Tivo is planning this? I don't want to go with Replay and then have it fold.

Thanks,
    Quinn

2. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I think you can get Tivo through broadband, but I am not entirely sure about that... So many people here own one that you shouldnt have much difficulty in getting an answer for this question...

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The TiVo Series 2 boxes support broadband. They don't have on board Ethernet, but they have USB ports that support Ethernet-USB adapters...both wired and wireless. Since I have a wireless network at home, I have a wireless adapter hooked up to my TiVo box and it works great for schedule downloads, service updates, etc.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you decide to go with a DirecTivo, you only need a phone during the initial setup. After that, you get an nag screen once a day. I'm at 172 days and counting without a phone call.

-Robert

5. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I have my laptop networked wireless with my wired desktop. I'll look into expanding that to the wireless connection.

If that works, will I still need a phone for intitial set-up? I could always call Tivo, but this board is more fun and everyone seems to know more than the comanies themselves!

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

There's a backdoor phone prefix code that enables going through LAN for the initial set-up. Go over to www.tivocommunity.com, which has post containing the info in the "underground" forum.

7. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

ONe note of caution about TiVo and broadband: if you want to go wireless with TiVo be very careful before getting a USB wireless adapter, their recommended model (Linksys WUSB11 version 2.6) has been discontinued. you can't buy them new anymore. Some other adapters work with some models of TiVo, but you should check before purchasing.