Tivo add hard-drive?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave_Nich, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Dave_Nich

Dave_Nich Auditioning

Is there a good web site that will describe how to add an additional hard drive to a Tivo Series 2 or a DirecTivo unit?

2. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Don't know about the newer ones, but Home Theater Magazine ran an article about modifying the Phillips DSR 6000 unit a while back. I'll check my back issues and see if I can give you the month and year if you are interested.

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Hard Drive Upgrade

I think this site is the best. I upgraded a regular Philips DirecTivo without a hitch -- added a 120GB Western Digital to the original 40 GB which has been flawless. I may eventually add a second 120 if I ever run out of space again. I think this will likely work for the Tivo2 as well with excellent step by step instructions.

4. Dave_Nich

Dave_Nich Auditioning

Thanks

5. David S. Peterson

Try for info.
    This site has a forum section devoted to upgrades. There are some issues specific to series 2.

tivocommunity.com

I have also just purchased from this place for a unit.

weaknees.com

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I also picked up a drive from Weaknees a month ago. It was a pre-configured blessed drive. The instructions they included made adding the second drive pretty painless. Go here for downloadable instructions.

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I upgraded 3 DirecTV receivers with TiVo (my own and two for friends), each from a single 40GB drive to a single 120GB drive using the Hinsdale instructions:
    http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html

I made a CD-R backup of the TiVo software for each unit and removed the original 40GB drive to keep as a backup. I'm glad I did, because my friend's new 120GB drive failed, but he was able to use the original drive until I installed a replacement 120GB drive.

8. FrankC

FrankC Agent

If you want to save some time, you can buy kits which come with pre-imaged drives, the Torx screwdriver you'll need, an IDE cable, and detailed instructions at places like http://www.ptvupgrade.com/.

I got a drive from them a few months back, took me 30 minutes to install, and the entire family has been quite pleased. Just in time for football season. [​IMG]