Titles to Introduce the HD Format.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ed St. Clair, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

This is not a format war thread!

This is not your favorite titles thread!

This is not a Sony Blu-it with MPEG 2 thread!

This is not a WB wrecked it with 1080i thread!

This is not more titles should be released on HD thread!
    (although there SHOULD be more titles on HD! ;-) )

This thread is what title, or titles. would show off the HD format the best!
    Even reviewers are questioning selections, not because of content, because of the ability of the source to show off HD at it's FINEST on disc.
    We all know of the limitations of some older titles & some low budget titles, so PLEASE don't go there.

I'll just say, what I've been saying for a year, I'd love to see computer animation on HD on disc.

Now, that I've tied your hands behind your back...

BEGIN!!! :)

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Superman Returns. I haven't seen it, but after having seen the last trailer in the theater and knowing the film was created with HD cameras, and has a significant amount of brightly lit passages, I would think this will be an absolutely fabulous looking disc.

otherwise, of all that has been announced or discussed or rumoured about- King Kong. owning to a variety of textures, backdrops, day/night sequences and robust action scenes and highly detailed CGI, and the ultimate- a dazzling , vertigo inducing climax.

I wasn't a big fan of the film, but look forward to picking up the disc and watching the film with my finger on the chapter skip button.
    It will be the formats first killer app, imo.
    Even moreso than Batman, which I consider a better movie, but may not be as 'show worthy' due to the generally darker palatte throughout.

also- if the intended audience has any bent for classic material , the Searchers or Singin In The Rain have a good shot at being 'must see/must have' s

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Anything that was shot with HD cameras. [​IMG]

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

For me, cinematography would have to be one of the key factors in determining which films would best display the benefits of HD, with use of color being a primary factor, with scope being a secondary factor. As much as I love B&W film and hope to see the classics released on HD; I believe that the improved color space of HD needs to be considered within the context of best showcasing HD, so I will stick with color films, especially those that use it to good effect. In no particular order...

Lawrence of Arabia
    Days of Heaven
    Barry Lyndon
    Apocalypse Now
    Chinatown

Gone With The Wind
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Garden of Allah
    The Adventures of Robin Hood
    Singin' In The Rain

The Searchers
    L.A. Confidential
    The Thin Red Line
    The Godfather
    The Natural

Last of the Mohicans
    In The Mood For Love
    Hero
    Baraka
    A Clockwork Orange

Ran
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Ben-Hur
    Spartacus
    The Ten Commandments

Empire of the Sun
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    Once Upon A Time In The West
    Doctor Zhivago
    El Cid

And how could I forget?

Hamlet (1996)

There are a lot of great potential choices out there. By necessity, these have to be favorites ( to some extent ) and these are films I would love to see on HD media. Obviously this list does not attempt to cover all genres, or attempt to necessarily be commercially viable. It is merely a list of films that I believe will benefit from an HD presentation ( moreso than others. )

- Walter.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

After you see it you'll say the same thing!!!
    Just got back from IMAX, the titles sequence was fantastic (it looked 3D, even though it wasn't).
    Super movie!!!

And the drums on the soundtrack were "super" too!

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Walter,
    Not to argue with you...
    however ;-)

The DVD of The Godfather was unwatchable for me.
    I think many here, including RAH, might say I'm out of my mind!
    That it looks like film. Just there was WAY to much print damage for me to enjoy it. And, an HD transfer I feel would highlight, as apposed to hide those flaws.
    Do you know or believe, there is a better print out there? Is a restoration being done? Is the DVD good enough for you? Do you think that print would make a fantastic HD on disc?
    Thanks.

The Natural was to soft, for me, to make the "finest" HD presentation.
    Great movie! Love this film!
    Just it was shot to look like a certain era & make its two stars look young. Its effects are also soft looking to me.
    Waited a long time for this title on DVD and I'm very happy to have it, as it was one of my fave VHS tapes. I cry like a baby, every time I watch it.
    Don't think it would shine as a reference to HD on disc, because of the cinematography, as beautiful as it is (the sun going down at the fair, for instance), would highlight the detail & resolution of the HD format.
    I could be wrong, however!!! ;-)

Like all your other choices!!!
    When can we see them in HD??? :)

7. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

When "classic" films are released on DVD, then I will buy an HD DVD player. As long as the studios keep thinking that recent CGI action films are the films to be released....its an very easy NO SALE.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

HERO would be awesome. Assuming they get a properly colored transfer (There are reviews of the many releases).

9. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

There's no debate here:
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Other movies that would "sell" the format:
    E.T.
    Jurassic Park Trilogy
    The Mummy

If *any* of these movies were released to HD-DVD, I'd be ready to drop my half-grand on the player!

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

As I’ve only seen HD demos in ‘big box’ stores, I probably should not have an opinion. But as I read some of the more informed comments on HD picture quality, it seems that I remember better blacks as one of the features.

Would not this also result in superior rendition of movies like Notorious, Citizen Kane and The Big Sleep?

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Re: The Godfather. There was another thread in which the merits of HD were discussed with regards to films whose sources were not pristine. One of the points being - would you rather watch a film with some flaws at the theater or on a medium that hides some of the flaws ( namely DVD ). I am firmly in the camp that believes that the closer to theatrical presentation one can get, regardless of imperfections, the better. I included this film on the basis of cinematography and would love to see it on HD. An improved presentation would be nice, but I could 'settle' for what we have right now.

- Walter.

12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Lew,

That is an interesting question and one I pondered before I submitted my post. While I believe that films like Citizen Kane, Rebecca, Sunset Blvd., Metropolis, Sweet Smell of Success, Hud, etc. would look splendid in HD; personally I am really struck by the improved color performance of HD, and it was from that viewpoint that I made my comments with respect to showcasing HD.

Hopefully we'll be seeing some of the great B&W films released ( from Warner Bros. probably ) and maybe I will revise my opinion. I am curious as to what Warner can deliver in this category. Casablanca perhaps? And if not, we'll always have DVD.

- Walter.

13. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    It wouldn't help sell the format, but with its huge landscapes, and boy, would DD+ or DolbyTrue sound great.

Out of Africa!

And another,

Sound of Music.

14. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

DVDBeaver, does fantastic work of comparing the transfers!
    HERO (properly done), would be the hero of HD on disc!
    Great soundtrack & gorgeous film, with scenes so beautiful they remain in the mind, forever.

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Walter,
    I agree with your post (w/o the "however" even!)
    Just you lost me at the end (which is easy to do! ;-) ).
    When you say " 'settle' ", do you mean you would settle for the print we have now to be used for HD or do you mean your settling for the SD DVD we now have, until something 'better' can be done?
    Thanks!

Of, coarse, I'm sure we can all agree "here" that we would like the matte re-opened to OAR.

At least we can agree on 'something', right? ;-)

16. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

You bet. That's why most of us come to enthusiast sites such as HTF. [​IMG] I honestly wasn't aware of any cropping issues with the current DVD releases ( I own the original boxset ) but a quick google search does turn up some information.

- Walter.

17. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

To clarify:
    The thread is about the "FINEST" transfers from film, that HD on disc can take advantage of!
    We have had thread on which titles would help HD on disc sell already, haven't we?
    What film has the detail & resolution to highlight the HD format.
    &
    What film is in pristine condition to allow the lack of artifacts in the HD format to "clearly" shine though, without artifacts from the source mucking up the picture.

^This is where I lose a lot of people. Fans of "film" don't mind and I've come to learn here at HTF even like the imperfection of film (not because it isn't prefect, because it makes it more "real", like film, to them). I've grown to respect those "film lovers" (how can one not respect RAH???), just my personal preference is "pristine".
    If you don't feel that way, no problem!!!

*Just to show you how "out of the loop" I am; I thought the film grain of Superman Returns was to much! :-0
    Especially the dark scenes, like in the small plane. Also the IMAX screen highlighted the grain, with that "silkscreen" effect that drives me nuts about RP LCD screens.
    This is not to derail the thread. I like that everyone's posting. It's just to make clear were the crazy guy that started the thread is coming from!

To get back on track (my apologies) LotR would be fantastic for a quality HD transfer (and sales!!! ;-) ).

Thanks to everyone!

18. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I agree with Walter... cinematography plays a big factor in which films I would love in HD. Beautiful cinematography can really showcase a HD transfer.

Some movies I think would really show HD off:

The Thin Red Line
    Days of Heaven
    The New World
    The Man Who Wasn't There
    Il Conformista
    (still waiting for the DVD even)
    City of God
    Snow Falling on Cedars
    I Am Cuba
    The Silence
    The Sacrifice

19. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Movies with vivid colors as well.

Austin Powers (just for the opening shot alone)

Amelie

20. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Groovy, Baby!!!