What's new

Titans vs Atoms: worth $30 more for HT? (1 Viewer)

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
According to Paradigm's website, the FMV (full market value?) of two systems I might be interested in buying is:

"System 2": 2 Atoms, 1 CC-170, 2 ADP-170's, 1 PDR-10"
Cost: $1186

"System 3": 2 Titans, 1 CC-170, 2 ADP-170's, 1 PDR-10"
Cost: $1216

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like upgrading to the Titans would set me back only $30. I know people are fond of the Atoms, but $30 more is only a 2.5% increase in the purchase price; are the Titans 2.5% better than the Atoms for HT in a 16x13 room?

I know this is a slippery slope type of argument...for example, I could step on up to the Focus arrangement:

"System 3.1": 2 Focus', 1 CC-170, 2 ADP-170's, 1 PDR-10"
Cost: $1296

Does the Focus arrangement sound 9% better than the Atom arrangement? I could play this game all day, but let me end with this possibility: what if I "splurged" and went for the floor-standing Esprit setup. I could skip the sub for now and be happy with the 35hZ in the Esprit (I'd get an SVS later), not have to buy speaker stands, and it would cost less than even the Atom arrangement.

Crap, the more I think about it, the more confused I get...and all I want is to get a great set of speakers -- TODAY!.

Any problems using the Esprit with the CC-170 and ADP-170? I know the 170's have the 3/4" tweeter, and the Esprit has a 1"...is that going to be a significant issue for me?

Help me out folks, I'm starting to drown in the possibilities. :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Well, here's one person's vote:
Atoms in front w/stands or wall mounted
CC-170
ADP-170's or Atoms in back
SVS 25-31pci

Some people may disagree, but if you are going to get a sub, I would choose the Atoms over any other speaker in that particular Paradigm line. They are killer speakers for the money, and I can tell you first hand that they will blend in nicely with an SVS. We initially had a PDR-10 with our Atoms, and that was 'okay'......but if you pair up the Atoms with an SVS pci sub, you'll be one happy camper :emoji_thumbsup:

It's very exciting to get a new HT set-up going, but don't forget that at some point you need to relax and enjoy it! :) Unless you have a large room, I would bet that you'd be just as happy with the sound of the Atoms with an SVS as you would be with the Titans, Focus, or Esprit......and you'll be HAPPIER with the overall purchase because you saved money, too. The Atoms are very well-regarded speakers. They are speakers you can be proud of. Heck, I have studio/100's in my HT now and I still get the warm fuzzies when I think of my Atoms. They are great little speakers! And you can't beat SVS :)

It is indeed a slippery slope. Less that a year ago my consumer-grade Sony receiver bit the dust. I decided I had been pretty happy with it, but wanted something just a little bit better (definitiely staying

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to agree with Kevin. I really like the Atoms, but I've owned both and the Titans get my :emoji_thumbsup:. EVEN when set to small, the extra extension is worth it, IMO.

My question is, do you really need the ADPs? You could save a bit and get either a second pair of Titans or Atoms as surrounds.

Where are you located? I am selling a pair of Black V3 shielded Titans for a very good price right now...:D

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, guys. I ended up going with the Atoms, ADP-170's, CC-170, and PDR-10. So far I'm very impressed with the Atoms -- there's no way that big of sound should come out of those tiny speakers. The stereo image is really quite good. The CC-170 hasn't blown me away yet, but it sounds nice and produces very loud, clear dialog/effects in movies like LOTR. Pretty nice. The sub...well, I haven't tried putting it many places yet, but on anything over 1/2 gain, it sounds boomy in my reflection-laden basement (concrete floors).

The real mystery is the ADP-170. I can't hear it. It's so diffuse that it almost disappears beneath the front L/C/R stage. I'm starting to second-guess this purchase, but the store gave me a 14-day audition on those -- at my request. I might try to stick a pair of Atoms back there (I'm going to buy a pair for my secondary system anyways) and see if I like that better. I specifically got the ADP's because I figured the diffuse sound would be good in my small HT room (16x13). I even added my old Sony center channel as a rear surround to complete the rear stage. But so far the rear stage is non-existant for home theater.

I'm going to watch Gangs of NY now, which will give me a good 3 hours to further evaluate the system. I'm pretty pleased with it so far though. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Oh, btw, I preferred the sound of the Atom to that of the Titan. The Titan clearly had better/more/lower bass response, but to me the highs suffered, and the stereo image was worse off because of it. Could have been the way it was set up at the store though.

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I keep hearing about these titans but I can't find a dealer anywhere near me.
Well there is one about an hour away but that seems really far to go to audition these.

Roughly how much are the titans (each) and a good center? The room is ~15x15 and I have an onkyo 575x to power them.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis -

I'm not sure about MSRP, but the Atoms at my local dealer are $189/pr, and the Titans are $219.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would suggest checking out the brand new package the www.av123.com is going to be coming out with. The package is called ELT...Extremely Luscious Theater and it consists of 4 mini-monitor sized main and rear speakers, a 3 way center channel, and a 200 watt 10inch subwoofer. This system is priced at $899.00 and is hands down the best system that I have heard in that price range. AV123 gives you a 30 day in home trial period to demo the speakers in your home with your gear and your room. Do yourself a favor and listen to all of the speakers that are in your price range as speakers are going to make the most difference in your system IMO.... Good luck with your decision!:cool:

MikeTrotter

Agent
Josh,I really feel that if you get a second pair of Atoms and buy the wall mounts for them you will be much happier with your system.Several years back I tried the ADP 170's and I got the same results you have.Try the Atoms in the rear and you will probably be satisfied.Good Luck

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have...

Paradigm Atoms(mains and surrounds),
Paradigm CC-170(center),
and the Sony WM40(modded)

I'm very happy with the overall sound. Before I upgraded my speakers to Paradigms my sub sounded really good, now I find that it's the weakest part of my system. Looking to upgrade that next. I also like the Atoms better then the Titans.

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
After looking at the size I guess the atoms and titans are bigger than my setup will allow. I need them small.

Maybe one day I'll be able to get paradigm.

I just auditioned about 5 different models of Paradigms from ataoms to monitor 7's. They all have a similar sound and they all sounded excellent! By by bose hello paradigm!

Bill

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Josh,I really feel that if you get a second pair of Atoms and buy the wall mounts for them you will be much happier with your system.Several years back I tried the ADP 170's and I got the same results you have.Try the Atoms in the rear and you will probably be satisfied.Good Luck
I'm leaning more and more twoards returning the ADP-170's for another pair of Atoms. I actually could return them and get TWO more pairs of Atoms (wiring the extra 2 serially as rear surrounds), and I'd still come out $60 ahead.

Alternatively, I could upgrade to Mini-monitors in the front, and move the Atoms to the L/R surrounds, and be without a rear surround channel for a while. I'd still be ahead $50-$100 that way. What do you all think: Atoms x 6, or 2 Mini-mons + 2 Atoms?

My current setup.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
(bump)...

Well, any thoughts on what I should replace my ADP-170's with?

(1) Nothing...reposition and learn to love the ADP's.
(2) 4 surround Atoms (2 L/R surround, 2 rear surround)
(3) 2 L/R surround Atoms and pocket the $250 difference
(4) Move my front Atoms to L/R surround duty, upgrade to Mini-monitors up front, and pocket the $100 difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks