Titans Vs Atoms for surrounds.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RyanJE, May 6, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

SO I got the minis for my mains and I love them. Now I want to get the surrounds. What do you guys think about these to guys. I can tell the differences when listening to music, unfortunately the dealer only had them set up in stereo.

Would there be a notable difference when used as surrounds for HT. The price difference isnt much so Im leaning toward titans.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Back in the day...my setup was Minis up front with Titans out back. Then I sold the Minis and got 5s, but kept the Titans for surround duty and I was never disappointed with them, even with multichannel hirez music.

When I very first started out, I had Titans (v2) up front and bought Atoms (v2) to go with them, but I had an extra set of Titans (v1) too. I compared the Atoms and Titans for surround and I ended up exchanging the Atoms for another pair of Titans because they sounded better to my ears. For the extra $30, I didn't see a reason to stick with the Atoms. The Atoms do seem to be a bit clearer, but that is because they don't extend as low, and that little bit of extra extension allows the Titans to more easily blend with a sub. I had a fixed x-over of 100Hz at the time and it worked very well.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Thats how I was leaning. I want to x-over at 50 hz so I was really leaning toward the Titans. Who knows that may be to low for the Titas but for the extra money it may be worth the shot.

Would you say the Atoms would still be clearer than the Titans if X-over point is 80?? Thats what I use now.

4. John Garcia

John
    50Hz would be way too low for either of them. Crossed over at 100Hz, I could still tell the difference and preferred the Titans; My room was quite large though at 14x25x10. 80Hz is about right, IMO, and should work well for the Minis too. I used 80Hz for my 5s. 50Hz will give you a dip in response with the Minis, as they are -3dB at 40Hz.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

True. I wonder why Pioneer made the 1014 at 50 instead of 60. Thats wierd. Plus one day I plan on getting the cc-370 and thats +- 3db at 57 hz. Im in no hurry though, the Minis image so well I dont need a center.

Thanks for all your info John, How long have you been into HT.

Almost every time I start a thread you have some info on the subject.

6. John Garcia

John
    LOL. I'm not sure I can remember that far back...[​IMG] I'd say at least 16 years, and I'm not exactly a geezer. I've been into audio stuff for most of my life; dad always listened to a lot of music and had decent gear that I liked to mess around with when I was a teen, so I got hooked on both music and the equipment. The FIRST thing I bought when I moved out was a POS Sony stereo, but hey, gotta start somewhere [​IMG]

I just looked, and next month, I've been a member of this forum for 6 years...I don't know if that's good or bad [​IMG] Definitely learned a lot from there though.

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Isn't that the truth! If not for this forum, I don't know where I'd be. I may have never heard of Outlaw Audio, SVS, or Magnepan - the three manufacturers that compose my current system. This site is a Godsend.

PS. Whenever I see John promoting the Titans, I have to toss out my pro-Atom stance..lol I loved my little Atoms!

8. John Garcia

John
    Yep, all the speakers in my main HT are internet direct [​IMG] GR Research and SVS. Haha, was waiting for someone to counterpoint on the Titan/Atom debate, naturally it would be Alan [​IMG]

I had bought a set of Atoms last year for the bedroom. I ran them full range and I was just never really happy with them when I cranked it. I sold those guys within a month and picked up my Mordaunt Short 902s that were on sale for $250/pr. These guys are -3dB at the same rated 55Hz as the Atoms, but I tell you, there is a big difference between their response in my room. The 902s seem to have much more bass.

9. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

lol...well I had to oblige you with the Atom/Titan thing...it's becoming tradition! [​IMG]

It's kind of funny how it seems like people are usually pretty solidly in either camp, even though there is only a small difference in price between the speakers lol. I think with Paradigm you usually get pretty good value with just about any of their speakers, but as you pointed out you can definitely find stuff that is better for not a lot more cash. If I'm ever asked to give a good, safe recommendation, I almost always start with Paradigm.

10. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Ive only been a member since January and already I've learned massive amounts. I bought my system before i signed up and I didnt even understand frequency response or sensitivity ratings. Needless to say this forum passed the upgrade bug on to me!

It seems like the more you learn the more you want to try new stuff. And buy it too [​IMG]

11. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Ha ha, this site is one of the main souces for the upgrade bug....I totally agree! As much as I curse the disease of 'upgrade-itis', though, I have to admit that I love the feeling of adding some new piece of gear to my system....especially when I anticipate it being a significant upgrade. Pretty cool stuff [​IMG]

12. brendy

brendy Agent

I use my Titans V.2 for mains with a 100hz x-over on my Onkyo 602.They should be excellent for surrounds.Like John Garcia said go with a 80hz x-over.

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Hey have any Paradigm owners noticed a problem with the finish on the monitors or other speakers.

At the point where the veneer (or what ever its called) ends its pretty sloppy. Its on the inside bottom edge. I went to the dealer and they were like that there too. Anyone else notice this?

14. John Garcia

John
    I never had a problem with the finish on any of mine, but I think they started outsourcing their cabinets to someone else recently. It would still surprise me that they would sell ones with imperfect cabinets.

15. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Its not obvious unless your inspecting the cabinet. the seam is real obvious and sloppy where it meets. all the ones I've inspected have bubbles and visible glue. Needless to say when I first got them out of the box i was very disappointed.

But after I hooked em up that feeling went away.[​IMG]

I figure its a small price to pay for good sound, and its not like anyone else will notice.

Its sad that they had to mess with there quality though, Im sure it was cost cutting.

16. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Hello once again there Ryan. Well, if it were me I would use the Titans for the rears. I think they sound better than the Atoms. Mine are X-overed at 90 Hz because I have a Paradigm PS1000 10" sub. I have experimented with trying 80 Hz and 100Hz but everything seems to blend better at 90Hz. Like you I love the minis. However, did you do any comparisons to the monitor 3? I found the 3 to be better. That is, the 3 had a much broader sound stage and the midrange to be a bit more laxed and not as strained. The mini is awesome no doubt but the 3 and its larger soundstage did it for me. In fact, my plans are to use the Monitor 3's for my fronts, cc-370 for me center, and use my Titans I already own for my rears for now. Hopefully, I will be able to acquire the minis for my rears and use the Titans for back surrounds composing 7.1. Anyways, good luck with your selection.

17. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I didn't get try out the the 3's. But the minis were the most I could afford at the time. Eventually I want get some monitor towers for the front and then move the minis back. The only dealer by my house didn't even have the 3's.

Thanks for all the info Ryan!