Titanic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Looks like Titanic is to get a special edition after all.
    Even better news is that it will be released this year! (September) in the UK. I am not sure about US version yet.
    There is no indication of the extras but i think it is a safe bet that the recent IMAX Titanic Wreck footage shot by Cameron will be included!

Source: BBC Ceefax Service
    (page 579, DVD News)

2. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

I don't believe it. I have a re-release thread at a forum that shall remain nameless and I haven't heard a peep about the Titanic SE.

The special edition is coming someday, but this year? Highly unlikely. Something this big can't slip under the radar and pop up in stores without no one knowing about it at least six months in advance.

The BBC story might be true in someway... it could get a re-release of sorts this year but definately NOT a special edition. It could be just a price reduction re-release or a repackaging.

3. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

I've heard from a source that the TITANIC SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION would be released in the fall of 2003 and not in 2002.
    I've checked a bit futher and there are more Collector's Editions coming in the UK namely The Beach , Chariots Of Fire and Braveheart.
    On a French site I saw the cover for Braveheart and there was nothing realy special about it except an new packaging.
    [​IMG]
    I am very curious to know what happens with Titanic in the UK.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

5. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

This was mentioned on R2 Project a few months ago
    http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4285
    No details of specs were given. Also mentioned is a X Men SE but I thought this is due next summer when we get the sequel in cinemas ?
    There are also no extras listed at the BBFC website (all UK extras have to be rated), so agrees with the comments on UK DVD Forums at the time that they are just repackaging of the existing versions. For Titanic may be 2nd disk of one of the TV making of specials to try and claim its a CE ?

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Malcolm
    The link to the HTF regional section was actually taken from that very same source.
    [​IMG]

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Even if a SE was in the works, I can guarantee you that the IMAX footage wouldn't be on it. It was flimed for an IMAX 3D film called GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS. Should be out soon.

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    That Braveheart looks pretty cool. I'm hoping for an bigger and better SE.

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

16x9?

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It would have to be

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

It's listed in AMAZON.UK, Titanic CE coming Sept... No details though, but it DOES say "Collector's Edition"... Interesting, since the original DVD is STILL for sale as well...

Any info...? D

12. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

It would be awesome if this UK disc would finally include a real (as opposed to interpolated) anamorphic transfer.
    I still didn't pick Titanic up because it isn't 16:9 in any region. Fingers crossed...
    But I also can't imagine that nobody would know anything about this disc yet if there were any major changes other than lower price or inclusion of the soundtrack CD etc.

13. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Knowing the UK DVD market (and the Oz DVD market, which reflects it somewhat) there's potentially a world of difference between a 'Collector's Edition' and a proper 'Special Edition'. The former seems to show up a lot in SIGHT AND SOUND and EMPIRE magazine, with ads for DVD releases distinguished by their new nifty packaging, but not a lot in the way of special extras. Granted, the UK market does blow the Oz market away with a lot of exclusives like THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY S.E... Anyway, I'd hazard a guess that this new TITANIC collector's edition features some nice packaging and maybe a doco, but isn't the full Van Ling blow out that we're all patiently waiting for. Maybe next year..?

14. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The only worked passed in the last twelve months by the BBFC, containing the word 'Titanic', is Titanic Tits - Part II.....[​IMG]

15. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Fox in the UK released a collectors edition of Titanic on VHS during the film's initial launch on home video. This overpriced set featured a film cell, script book and all of the other usual gimmicks, but also a second tape containing a making of documentary.
    See here: Amazon.Co.Uk
    Should Fox choose to include this documentary on the 'collectors edition' DVD, it wouldn't need to be classified by the BBFC a second time.

16. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

I want them to make this as good as the Pearl Harbor DVD, but with a higher quality packaging.

17. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

Stolen from DVDFile.com:
    A two disc S.E 'Titanic' will release in mid November. Right before the sequel hits the theaters 'Titanic 2: I'm the King of Atlantis' starring Leonardo Dicaprio, and the Little Mermaid.
    Synopsis:...After going down with the Titanic that fateful night in December Jack Dawson resurfaces in the underwater world of Atlantis. He's an outcast, who falls in love with an upperclass thespian named Katherine (Played by Ariel a.k.a The Little Mermaid). Their love will go on.........and on................................
    [​IMG]

18. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

The 'VanLing Blow-out' may only be part of a Paramount deal, so Fox UK is going ahead with their own SE...
    Maybe this'll light a fire under the Mountains buns to get an SE, or at least 16x9 version out. hmmmm...
    Lets see, isnt there an excellent SE of THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, 16x9 coming out in R3? ;-)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...635542-6964619