What's new

Titanic: Titanic 2? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just watched the Show on the History Channel, and s omething jogged my memory. Whern't there two companies planning to build an EXACT replica of the Titanic, that they hoped to have finished in the next few years?

I only saw one report on it, and that was it.

Same thing goes for the movie spoof, Gigantic, that was supposed to start Leslie Neilson..

Anyone know anything else about this?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have a 'Popular Mechanics' issue with an article about 'TITANIC 2' in it from 3 or 4 years ago. For some reason the projects were scrapped, I think because of safty regulations, i'm not sure on that though. I believe I heard that a ship built to TITANIC's specifications would be deemed unsafe for todays ship safty standards.

This really makes no sense though, because from the article in 'PM' it states that the new ship(s) would only LOOK like TITANIC, but have completly modernized systems such as satelite communications, navagation radar, aviation radar, doppler weather radar, non-flammable wall coverings and furnishings, bow thrusters, a bulbous bow peak, high efficiancy screws, and an enlarged rudder.

Also, TITANIC was a steamship, so she had A LOT more equipment to carry, such as boilers which made her sinificantly heavier than ships today, perhaps her design wasn't compatable with the lighter electric engines.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This idea was probably hatched at the peak of Titanic fever and scrapped when the hype died down.
Can't imagine it being successful. Ya know, travelling on a replica of a ship that sank on it's maiden voyage with more than 1500 souls lost.:rolleyes

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Can't imagine it being successful. Ya know, travelling on a replica of a ship that sank on it's maiden voyage with more than 1500 souls lost.
LOL....exactly. We do silly things sometimes, us humans. :)
/Jeff

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
A Titanic replica built to modern specs would probably not be commercially successful in todays cruise oriented market--not enough open deckspace and such. The liners of 1912 were configured for efficient transatlantic travel in relatively cold weather, not carefree cruising. Although famed for their luxury in 1st class, they actually made their money by carrying vast numbers of immigrants to the US in steerage. This is analogous to today's airlines making all their money off the multitudes in Coach rather than the privilidged few in 1st class.

The deckspace that would be sacrificed in order to put 4 stacks on a modern Titanic replica would preclude it from competing as a cruise liner. Once the novelty wore off, the ship would lose all profitability.

The real Titanic was actually the 2nd of 3 nearly identical sister ships. The first was the Olympic, launched the year before Titanic. Titanic was only a bit longer, mainly due to some cosmetic modification. It was a bit more luxurious. The third ship was called the Britannic, was converted to a hospital ship during WWI, and was sunk by a German submarine attack.

The Olympic stayed in service as a transatlantic liner well into the 1930s, and was eventually scrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks