What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Here is a little comment by Mr. Blythe from Paramount on the

dts matter :

Quote :

For the record, we are not opposed to DTS. I'm sure it's inevitable that sooner or later we will do some titles on DTS. It only has to do with two issues: DTS hogs disc space and there aren't a lot of people out there who insist on it or who have the capability. I'm sure the titles we select will be the appropriate ones and Titanic would obviously be one, however I'm sure you'll see other titles with DTS before we get to a Titanic SE.

end.

So you see it is not so that Paramount will never release a

dvd with dts it's just a question of when.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Some Paramount titles even more obvious for a DTS track would be the Indiana Jones series. Or at least I hope so... :)
ok, back on topic... What if the new Cameron documentary was to be included on the SE DVD? Wouldn't that be cool? :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Even though this isn't high on my list of great films of all time, it does happen to be the disc I most often turn to whenever I upgrade a piece of equipment to see what effect the addition has had. The most recent, the SVS subwoofer, was incredible! There's a lot on this disc way down low that I'd never heard before with my old sub. Bring on the SE!

John Beavers

Second Unit
Lesse how long this thread goes before someone comes in and farts.
:) The temptation is great, but considering I've only seen half of this movie I'll resist, until I've completed the entire sinking experience. The memory of the day I first saw Titanic is still fresh in my mind. My wife and I at the movie theater, the film is just past the point where they sit down at the Captain's table for dinner, when I chomp down on a Milk Dud, and feel a cold breeze where my tooth used to be. OUCH! I was fairly bored with the film up to that point. So the loss of seeing the rest of it was no biggee. I was way more interested in contacting my dentist for some pain relief.
Perhaps this SE will be my impetus to watch the rest of the movie. Wonder if my dentist would prescribe some more of those pain pills to help me through the last half of the film :D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Re: DTS

The laserdisc was the only Paramount movie ever released in DTS. It was a special deal since Paramount discs were exclusively pressed by Pioneer, and DTS were exclusively pressed by Image. I can only imagine that Cameron (a well known techno-junkie) specifically asked for the DTS disc. Therefore I wouldn't be too surprised if he asked for the same on the DVD.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
John - if you missed the last 1/3 of Titanic, you missed the only redeeming portion of the movie. The first 2/3 is nothing but a sappy, hackneyed love story. As far as I'm concerned, the opening scene in Titanic should have been began as follows:

"Iceberg, right ahead!"

The film should have then ended with the rescue of the survivors by the Carpathia.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
We got through 16 posts. That's not bad. To provide a counterpoint to Steve: I felt the movie was magnificent. It was a wonderful cinematic experience wherein a historical event is effectively tied into a solid story (it did it's job quite effectively, while remaining understated) and brilliant work behind the camera to transport audiences to the ship and the event themselves. It was a movie made with passion, something rarely seen these days (well, until recently :D ). I know there are many out there who can't stand it, but only one film I've seen ever rivaled the hold on me at the theater December 19, 1997.
Just my take,
Chuck

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Congratulations SteveA, you win the First Fart Award. Smell it in good health:D
John, yours was more of a silent blip. Perhaps after you see the entire film, you'll have enough gas for a complete release.:)

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
This rumor is music to my ears. I have been dying to buy Titanic on DVD but the current edition sucks. I would buy a Titanic SE in a heartbeat. I sure hope this rumor is true.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I would snap up a Titanic SE in a heartbeat as well. The current, barebones, overly compressed non-anamorphic disc is a disgrace to such a great movie. DTS and LOADS of extras would just be icing on the cake. I'd be happy with a commentary and deleted scenes, and of course a much-needed anamorphic transfer. And I don't care if the movie spans 2 discs, a la Pearl Harbor, if it means better picture and better sound!
Peeew... someone open a window! :)
KJP

DanR

Supporting Actor
Some Paramount titles even more obvious for a DTS track would be the Indiana Jones series. Or at least I hope so...
Hope is the key word here. I'm out of hope we'll see Indy Jones in 2002. When I have the discs in my hand, I'll believe.

I also doubt Paramount will put DTS on a Titanic SE. They claim to be unable to put DTS on current DVDs because of DTS being a space hog, so the chances of DTS on a 3 hour movie with a lot of " MPEG compression nightmare" scenes are slim to none. Unless, of course, they split the movie over two discs, and I'm sure that will piss off a lot of people. So, Paramount is screwed either way.

Regards,

Dan

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Finally. I have been holding off on buying the disc that's out because it's non-anamorphic. Since I thought the movie was ok I'll pick this up if it'll actually be anamorphic. Could care less about extras (and DTS which might take up too much space for this movie; I just hate to compromise picture quality for DTS (just my $0.02, please don't flame).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Bits has released an update on this story. BrianShort was correct - Cameron has returned to the wreck of the Titanic in order to shoot footage for an upcoming 3D IMAX documentary entitled Ghosts of the Abyss. According to several sources, some of that footage will be used on a Titanic SE.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had a long term fascination with the whole Titanic story, and loved Cameron's film for the way it put me on that ship. Sappy love story notwithstanding, the last half of the film makes you experience the horror of the sinking every bit as effectively as Spielberg's SPR makes you experience the horror of D-Day.
This was my first disc into the player after an upgrade, too, until I got my 16/9 tv. It needs to be anamorphic. My JVC player will scale it quite well, but not as well as true anamorphic.
If The Abyss is any indication, Titanic SE should be truly awesome. I will be willing to wait for this done right.

GregK

Screenwriter
I had also heard about a month or so ago that Cameron had

visited the Titanic, but was filming a 3-D IMAX film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well you guys who have seen me in other 'Titanic SE' threads know that I will not settle for anything less than a dvd package that RIVALS the towering 'T2 UE' in terms of content. For THIS film, their is NO excuse for not rewriting the dvd record books.
It will happen, when, is the question.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Technophiles already knew that Cameron was down there filming footage with an IMAX camera (that he and his brother helped engineer for filming at high depths) long ago.

It was broadcast daily over at EarthshipTV back in August/September...

He had gone out with the same Russian crew that took him down the first time around and Bill Paxton tagged along as well. Great stuff to tune in to daily, by the way!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Just curious....what's wrong with a 'sappy love story'? I mean seriously, and romantic movie could be considered 'sappy' and personally, I enjoyed the love story in Titanic far more than Pearl Harbor.

This is the one complaint I see over and over and over again with Titanic, and just can't understand what's wrong with it? It wasn't a poorly done love story either, and in fact was quite good.

Do you guys not like romantic movies or love stories, and enjoy just pure action? Hell, practically every action movie has some love story attached to it, and those are the ones that come across as poorly done.

Just curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks