'TITANIC' night on the Discovery Channel.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    James Cameron finally comes full circle and explores TITANIC for the last time and revealed things that had me as a TITANIC enthusiest glued to his seat!

I expected it to be yet another documentary that pours over everything we already know and comes to no new conclusions but no, I saw things tonight that had me almost as giddy as Cameron was.

The Turkish baths revealed for the first time in over 90 years, the discovery of the cargo hatch cover laying far foreward of the bow and it's story of how it came to rest there, had me riveted. Also, the exploration of the room depicted in the film to be Rose's and Cal's room, with the clock actually still sitting on the mantle! [​IMG]

I wasn't expecting 5 hours worth of TITANIC tonight, but I watched every minute of it at the expense of being dead tired tomorrow at work, but who cares, it was great stuff.

I especially was surprised by the documentary Birth of the Titanic, telling the story her conception and construction. Nothing had ever really been done to tell this particular facet of the TITANIC legacy in such detail, and to see it made into a sort of mini-movie complete with some pretty good visual effects, was very rewarding to watch. [​IMG]

James Cameron, I must point out, was mistaken about one thing towards the end of the last documentary regarding the fallen foremast, it was NOT crushed flat by the bacteria eating the ship, that was done very much by man.

When Bob Ballard found the ship in 85, the mast lamp was firmly bolted to the foremast, however in a later expedition by another team, the mast lamp was forcefully torn from the mast and that is what caused it to crumble flat like it is now. I've seen the mast lamp for myself twice, and the metal fringes that attached it to the mast itself are indeed twisted.

The crows nest was also destroyed in a recovery effort when they went for the ships famous bell, to which I have also seen. These represent two very sad examples of how overly eager they were to bring back relics from the ship, they were facinating to see, but I rather they had been left on the ship.

Lastly, I loved the new CGI graphic depicting the sinking and break-up of the ship, it was startling in a way because I believe it's the most accurate one to date.

Great night of television, and also an appetizer for the Titanic Special Edition on dvd. Now I must go and finalize the two dvd's it took to record all of that, then this weekend I must transfer them again to edit out the commercials, which I was just too damn lazy to do tonight. :b

2. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

I too watched these, and was pleasantly surprised by some of the discoveries. However, the little 'mini-movie' about the building of the Titanic left me unsettled. They neglected to mention the fact that there were three sister ships, olympic, Titanic, and Gigantic, which was later changed to Brittanic. I feel if they were going to do something like this, the third ship should have at least been mentioned. It was heavily modified into a hospital ship and put to service in the war, and it deserved to be mentioned that the lifeboat situation was rectified on this ship, with better davits and more boats in general. A great part of the history of the ships was lost by not going into this part of the story. Other than that, it was a great couple of hours.

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Yeah, it was unfortunate that BRITTANIC was left out, but it actually wasn't really necessary to show if you think about it. The show was focusing on the construction of TITANIC, BRITTANIC didn't come along until much later.

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I watched three of the specials...and Tivo'd the 11 PM thing. My guide was AFU...it said the 11 was a repeat of the 8. It said the Cameron special was TWO hours long (it was only 1). But my wife and I had a good time. The clips STILL gave me goosebumps, and probably always will.

Seeing the Turkish baths was just unbelievable. A great moment, shared. I didn't stay up for the live chat. I'm going to hunt for a transcript.

Just 1.5 months until the 20th anniversary of discovering the great ship's resting place.

Take care,
    Chuck

5. derek

derek Second Unit

My ReplayTV showed the Cameron special as two hours also. Was there more than the 1 hr show? They seemed to be discussing further dives/explorations (ie the live video fixed etc) like there was a part 2 coming up.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Actually, guy's, I hate to break it to you, but it was actually THREE hours long all total.

Like many i'm sure, I was all set to stop recording after Birth went off because I assumed Last Mysteries was just a repeat of what was on at 9, but then I saw new things and kept the disc rolling.

I didn't even have enough room on the disc to get the last hour and had to quickly swap out that one for a second disc to finish recording it all. As I said, this weekend i'll sit down and edited it all together on one disc.

7. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I wonder if this will be shown on Discovery HD?

8. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I missed the last hour. How soon until they release this on dvd?

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's a total guess but I bet it'll be released close to when the Titanic special edition comes out in October.

10. derek

derek Second Unit

Ok so Discovery is repeating the special this Saturday 7/30...here is the schedule. So it seems the consensus is that the Cameron/Last Mysteries shows are unique (2 hrs total.)

08:00 PM Anniversary Special: Titanic Event Titanic: Birth of the Legend pg
    09:00 PM Anniversary Special: Titanic Event Last Mysteries of the Titanic pg
    11:00 PM Anniversary Special: Titanic Event Titanic: Birth of the Legend pg
    12:00 AM Anniversary Special: Titanic Event Last Mysteries of the Titanic

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Thanks for the update, Derek. You're much more helpful than the Discovery Channel is[​IMG]

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Derek, Travis,
    the Cameron documentary is 3 hours, not 2. The first part at 9 was an hour, followed by the second part at 11 which ran 2 hours.

13. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I just got this answer from Discovery over on the AVS forums:

"In response to the Titanic HD question; Sunday's James Cameron special was not shot in hi def.

Regards,
    John
    DHDT Programming"

14. derek

derek Second Unit

*shrugs* Ok by John's account he saw a unique 3 hrs total of Cameron stuff. This Sat Discovery has two 2hr shows one on at 9pm one at 12am. Now...either both shows are unique and there is a total of 4 hours of Cameron programing. Or both shows are the same only 2 hrs of Cameron is repeated. Or I guess Discovery is padding it with ALOT of commercials! *LOL*

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The blue tiles in the Turkish bath were AMAZING! They looked like they were made yesterday.Don't you mean UN-riveted? [​IMG]

16. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Mark,
    if you recall, Ken Marschall explained how such a thing was possible, a small piece not being disturbed while bigger pieces were thrown or destroyed. I think it had something to do with the water surrounding the objects, and that it acted as a dampening effect.

The discovery of the hatch cover was particularly interesting to me, because all of these years it was believed that the force of the impact with the bottom is what caused the anchor crane to spin around and face the other way, but now it's apparent that the hatch cover hit it and that is what spun it around. It would also explain the small dent in the hatch cover.

I guess you could say that I was pop-riveted. [​IMG]

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Alright, now i'm getting frustrated, I have the Discovery Channel on right now and there is yet another differently edited version of this special, in addition to another that I saw earlier tonight! Now by my count that makes 5 unique edits of the show, and they do show footage that they did not show on the other ones.

I'm all for having different docs about TITANIC, but jeez, i'm having a hard time keeping up with this now, I thought that this would be a repeat of the other night so I did not record it this time, I was wrong. [​IMG]

How many more are there? [​IMG]

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I finally caught this last night!

I think Cameron is referring to the fact that the mast is bending now AFTER it had fallen. In other words, the mast was straight as it was laying down on the deck and now it's also bending as it's being eaten away. Check out the footage from dives during the movie and then the footage from the doc and you can see the difference.

19. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Travis,
    while it's true that the mast is slowly beginning to sag from the iron eating bacteria, the initial crush damage to the very top of it, which more than likely expedited it's rapid deterioration, was done by an expedition team when they tore the mast lamp from it.

As I stated, and was mentioned by Robert Ballard as well in his book Discovery of the Titanic, the mast lamp was perfectly and firmly bolted to the mast when he found it in 85, it would have taken great force to wrench it loose, which was apparent when I saw the lamp in Atlantic City and again Philly. Only the robotic arm of a submersible would have the strength to do that.

Cameron stated that when he saw the mast in 2001, it was "straight as a ruler", however the crush damage to the top WAS there at that point, and it was also there when he shot the movie if you really look. I believe that he's pointing out that the mast has gotton even worse further down, near where the crows nest used to be, which was very noticable during last nights special, it doesn't appear to be quite as high above the foreward well deck as it used to be.

I sure hope your right about the dvd containing all of that footage, as a TITANIC enthusiest who must record everything he can get his hands on, it's very frustrating whenever I miss something.

20. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Yes! I think I got them all now. It just went off and it was the same ones as last (Saturday) night and I captured them both on disc.

Now, though, I have to sit down and make yet another edit of them all together, not tonight though that's for sure, it took me a long time on Saturday morning to do the first edit without the commercials.

I think it's safe to say that, for the moment anyway, i'm a little TITANIC'ed out. [​IMG]