Titanic MKIII vs. Hsu STF-2 10-inch SubWoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Doug Craig, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Doug Craig

Doug Craig Agent

Doug Craig
    I finally got the O.K. to find a small subwoofer for our surround system. I've been looking at the Parts Express' Dayton MKIII subwoofer kit with a lot of conviction, but then a friend suggested that I look at the Hsu sub, and I can get it for the same price ($349) as the MKIII.

So, now I'm stymied. Both have 250W of power, and good response... the Hsu is a larger box (19x14x18) than the MKIII (14x14x14.5) which may make the decision for me, but what I'd really like is to hear from anyone that has experience with either one of these particular subs.

Anyone, anyone....?

2. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

I recently got the HSU STF-2, and I find it to be a great all-around sub. It is quite musical, in that the bass is not too bloated or boomy, and it goes very low. It has plenty of power to fill my 16x20 room. If the PE sub you're considering is the 10" sealed cab front-firer...from what I've read, it's a great unit for it's price, but it isn't quite as loud or deep as the ported down-firing Hsu. The PE is apparently very good for music because it is nice and tight, but probably not as room-filling as the Hsu for movies. Actual dimensions may be your deciding factor...also, considering that the Hsu is 18" deep, how far from the back wall would that place it in your system? You don't want to get the rear port too close (like under 3"). If that is the case, and you have only one place to put the sub, then the Dayton might be the way to go.

3. Doug Craig

Doug Craig Agent

Doug Craig
    Well - you've confirmed what I thought. And, to be honest, it sounds like the PE Titanic will be the choice unless I hear anything truly negative about it. My wife will appreciate the musicality over the loudness (which is a problem between us...[​IMG] )

I'm thinking that once I can build the dedicated HT room downstairs, I'll have my Hsu in position then... and it won't be a small one.

Thanks for the feedback - and if there's any more out there, let's hear it!

4. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

Where can you get the STF-2 for $349.00 ?

5. Doug Craig

Doug Craig Agent

Doug Craig
    I found an online listing from CompUSA, who is expanding into home theater... who knew!?