Titanic MKII vs. DVC vs. ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Bayler, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Mike Bayler

Mike Bayler Auditioning

One of my friends was nice enough to again give me the itch for home theater back in April. He told me about the subwoofer he had built with advice from this group. Since that time I have been trying to determine what driver I will build a subwoofer around.

He pointed me to Parts Express and I reviewed the DVC-12 he had used. It looks like a good driver, but I'm actually interested in a driver that requires a slightly larger box so that I can make a box that looks more like a piece of furniture. Of course the ability to build a larger box gives me a larger selection of woofers to choose from.

I found the 12" Titanic MKII appealing due to its suggested box size and driver parameters. I was told there might be some problems with a rather "non-flat" response provided by high excursion drivers of this nature and that I might need to invest in a BFD if I used such a driver.

The question is -- Has anyone built an enclosure around the MKII, and if so how has it "behaved" in your listening room? I have a 14 x 23 great room with a vaulted ceiling that is 8 feet at the wall and 11 feet at the center of the long wall.

If other drivers -- DVC 15, dual DVC-12, etc. -- would be a better match for what I am doing, I would appreciate the advice. I already have a PE-250 watt sub amp that I plan to use on this enclosure. This subwoofer will be used almost exclusively for home theater.

Thanks,

Mike Bayler.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you are interested in a larger enclosure I would pick the DVC15" over the Titanic.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Mike,

That driver is still fairly new and you'd probably (well, definitely) get lots of advice by posting on the Parts Express tech board. That's a big room you've got, might want to look at ported to fill it with HT bass. A bigger driver might be in order, also, as Dustin suggested.