What's new

Titanic (Kino Video, Germany, 1943) releases 7/20. Anyone ever seen it? (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone give me info on this (besides what's on Kino's website)? It sounds interesting and may be a blind buy if anyone can recommend it. And what's Kino's reputation like? Are they on par with Criterions? Thanks in advance!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Kino is without a doubt one of the best in the business. I had never heard of this film until watching the documentary on Fox's TITANIC where this German version was talked about. It seems rather interesting so I'll be picking it up but I've got very little knowledge on the actual film. The documentary didn't talk too much about it either.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'd heard about the German version during the whole wave of TITANIC mania in 1997-98, so this will make for an interesting addition.

Kino Video is one of those quiet power players that gets some real gems on their hands. I picked up their DVD version of METROPOLIS about a year or so ago and found it to be really great (except for the audio commentary). So I'm sure they will give the German version the same love and care for its DVD release.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, some of the ship footage from this version was re-cycled for A Night To Remember

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I pre-ordered this (along with Munchhausen) and the order is on its way to me now. I'll try and get some reviews up in the Expanding Horizons thread in Movies.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I saw the film about 20 years ago at a museum screening in Germany. I remember being really struck at the time by the propaganda aspects of the film; very anti-British in it's depction of the events that caused the sinking of the ship (i.e. greedy industrialists who put profit over the public good); and very pro-sailor (all of the crew members are heroic). I remember it as kind of an interesting curio, but don't feel compelled to pick it up. I'm really anxious to see MUNCHAUSEN, UFA's attempt to create a Wizard-of-Oz-like fantasy.

As for Kino, they're a top-notch outfit. Their DVD of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS is one of my current favorites.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Being from Kino, it'll be top-notch. Everyone rants and raves about Criterion, but hardly anyone talks Kino. IMO, Kino releases far more interesting and varied stuff, from Buster Keaton to German silents and everything in between.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much for all the positive comments on Kino...I will be picking this up for sure!

That's correct...it was listed in the synopsis on Kino's website (or catalog).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just got done watching Titanic. Thematically the film is about as subtle as, well, hitting an iceberg: the President of the White Star Line pushes the Titanic's limits in an attempt to increase stock prices. Also, the sole German officer on board is the only one to express any doubts as to the dangers facing the ship. While these elements are overplayed, Titanic is still an engaging film and certainly worth a look - I purchased this blind and don't regret it. Needless to say, it's a must-have for Titanic buffs and a must-see for film buffs.

I've yet to go through the special features on the DVD, but the film itself looks darned good: Kino did a fantastic job on the restoration (though it's too bad the cut footage is probably lost forever).

Edit: I also want to extend kudos to Kino for their excellent releases: the aforementioned The Man Who Laughs and Fritz Lang's Liliom are two recent releases I'm glad I purchased. Now I'm off to watch Munchhausen...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the mini-review, Steve. According to the catalog I received from them, they are releasing new DVDs of both Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame. Can't wait!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
...and I'll also recommend Munchhausen. The film basically follows the same path (being based on the same source material of course) as Terry Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, but with a different prologue and epilogue (the Baron spins his tales to a young couple). Though Munchhausen isn't quite as visually imaginative as Gilliam's take (though it certainly has its share of eye candy), it's not quite as ponderous either. Well worth a look!

The print used for the DVD looks pretty good: Munchhausen was filmed in "Agfacolor" and though the print used is not pristine (it still looks somewhat faded), it looks much better than it did in the restoration demonstration included as a special feature. Other special features include a nifty cartoon featuring Baron Munchausen and an informative introduction to the feature film by the director of the F.W. Murnau Foundation.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If anyone sees Titanic in a brick and mortar, please post it here... I'd bet that Barnes and Noble will have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks