What's new

Titanic (1997) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw that documentary, too, it was very compelling stuff indeed, if the conditions that night were as he theorized it's very likely TITANIC fell victim to the mirage effect put forth by him. In general I liked his approach to the investigation, it felt very concise, well thought out and intimate to me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I like that it makes sense out of two big mysteries: why wasn't the berg seen in time and why didn't the CalifornIain come to the rescue? The special details other issues too.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A previous poster mentioned no IMAX for his area and my area was the same. I contacted Dickensen Theaters and learned the IMAX version would go into wide release this weekend. In Little Rock the first showings are this Friday.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
YES!! Looks like I'll be seeing it in IMAX tomorrow! My friend called me today and told me that her local theater will have it in IMAX starting tomorrow, we had planned to see it this weekend and I was prepared to see it in RealD 3D again but now I get to see it in IMAX woo hoo! :cool:

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Just thought I'd throw a little water on the fire of Titanic from someone who actually hated the movie.... ;)
I remember seeing it in the theater and not only not enjoying anything, acting, story, direction, etc (other than the drawing scene - what can I say I was going horny teenager) I remember thinking how lame the special effects were. They never seemed real to me. It wasn't like Terminator 2, which blew me away. There were flybys of the ship with people on it, and I thought the people looked like 2D cutouts instead of real people. In fact, I started wondering why more physical models weren't used. Oh well, I know I'm in the minority for not liking the film. Did anyone have one feeling on the film when they initially watched it, and then have it changed when they re-watched? My wife loved the film the first time she saw it, then got it on VHS, and couldn't sit through it again. While another friend of mine hated it the first time, and saw it in 3D recently and he said it was fantastic!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Inspector Hammer! said:
YES!! Looks like I'll be seeing it in IMAX tomorrow! My friend called me today and told me that her local theater will have it in IMAX starting tomorrow, we had planned to see it this weekend and I was prepared to see it in RealD 3D again but now I get to see it in IMAX woo hoo! :cool:
Attaboy John!
Enjoy!:tu:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
DellaStMedia said:
Just thought I'd throw a little water on the fire of Titanic from someone who actually hated the movie.... ;)
I remember seeing it in the theater and not only not enjoying anything, acting, story, direction, etc (other than the drawing scene - what can I say I was going horny teenager) I remember thinking how lame the special effects were. They never seemed real to me. It wasn't like Terminator 2, which blew me away. There were flybys of the ship with people on it, and I thought the people looked like 2D cutouts instead of real people. In fact, I started wondering why more physical models weren't used. Oh well, I know I'm in the minority for not liking the film. Did anyone have one feeling on the film when they initially watched it, and then have it changed when they re-watched? My wife loved the film the first time she saw it, then got it on VHS, and couldn't sit through it again. While another friend of mine hated it the first time, and saw it in 3D recently and he said it was fantastic!
My opinion of films have changed many times over the years. When I first saw The Matrix, I hated it.
Titanic however seems to get better with each viewing :)
Take your wife to an IMAX showing. Your opinions may very well change....and then again......:D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I watched Titanic in the theater, I found no fault with the special effects, I thought they were superb. Actually, that came later, because while watching it I wasn't thinking of special effects. I was totally involved.
The one thing I did not like, was the plot with the Simon Legree, mustache twirling villain of a fiancé. You got the sinking of the Titanic, do you really need him for drama? That was the one thing I'd change about the movie.
But, you know, there has never been a movie made that everyone liked and there never will be.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DellaStMedia said:
It wasn't like Terminator 2, which blew me away.
I understand what you mean but I think the reason why the effects in T2 still look pretty great is because they are of a shiny liquid metal man so they don't have to look like a real person. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that Titanic was the first movie to use digital people and face/head replacement and while they're not perfect (especially by today's standards), they're still groundbreaking work.
On a side note, I think the shots of the ship at sea are another example of 'history coming alive' when I saw them for the first time. In 1997, I had seen lots of wonderful paintings of Titanic but seeing the ship in motion was really incredible.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
TravisR said:
It wasn't like Terminator 2, which blew me away.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that Titanic was the first movie to use digital people and face/head replacement and while they're not perfect (especially by today's standards), they're still groundbreaking work.
While it was only for a couple of seconds Jurassic Park was the first to attempt a digital face replacement for Ariana Richards when she fell through the ceiling of the kitchen. When the Raptor jumps up and snaps at her, that was a stunt woman and at one point she looks up into the camera so ILM placed Ariana's face over her face. But yes TITANIC was the first to use it for a long period with the camera lingering on the actors faces.
I find it hard to put into words how I reacted when I first saw the film and saw the ship alive once again and at sea, I couldn't believe my freakin' eyes and it was also quite moving to see, definitely one of those moments in film that I'll never forget along with seeing that Brachiosaur for the first time in Jurassic Park.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I have always suffered from my expectations being too high, and I think that's why I found fault with the SFX/CGI in Titanic. Looking back, it was groundbreaking, but I was so totally not compelled by the story in Titanic, that critiquing the effects was what I did for 3 hours. As I walked out I thought, and still think, that the movie would have been much better if it had been a docudrama instead of a melodrama.
Side note, I actually find it hard to watch most of T2 now. Not because of the SFX, which as was mentioned earlier, are easier to accept due to the liquid metal aspect, but some of the scripted dialogue is so wince inducing to me. Then again, Robert Patric is fantastic and that keeps me coming back.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DellaStMedia said:
Then again, Robert Patric is fantastic and that keeps me coming back.
In my mind, that dude is one of the most underrated actors around. He had the extremely difficult task of replacing David Duchovny on The X-Files and he ended up being great on the show. Also, he gave an excellent performance in his arc on The Sopranos and his role in Copland.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
TravisR said:
In my mind, that dude is one of the most underrated actors around....and his role in Copland.
Patric was fantastic in Copland! I think both he and Ray Liotta deserve more credit in that film than they get, not to mention the film itself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Regarding John's screencaps from the last page: I saw the movie again this morning and the top of the funnel that falls on Fabrizio has been changed to its correct black color. Also, there are stars in the shots that John showed but they're very, very subtle so I'm still not convinced that they haven't always been there and the lack of resolution of VHS and DVD is why they're "new" to my eyes. Then again, maybe Cameron wanted to shut up all astronomers and so he made the movie bulletproof in terms of its depiction of stars.
I still couldn't see the sliver of land behind the ship when Rose and Jack first really talk with each other but I almost never notice it so it might still be there or it might not be.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am huge fan of james cameron. however I consider the movie the abyss to be my favorite. I prefer that one over titanic. I even like avatar, t1,and t2 better then titanic for that matter. I have not gone to watch titanic in 3d either.
Jacob

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I had the greatrest screening of the film I've ever had last night! The IMAX 3D was simply incredible and gave the film a commanding presence like I have never known before! It utterly DEMANDS the attention of your senses in IMAX like no non-IMAX theater can equal. If I never see the film in theaters again I can die happy, nothing can top that experience.
I am also now in a position to confirm changes to two of the shots I cited, first, the mountains in the background when Jack and Rose are walking are indeed gone and no changes have been made to the "I'm flying!" scene, I made it a point to pay extremely close attention to both and on that ENORMOUS IMAX screen it was hard to miss lol. While the stars in those two shots are faded I can tell you with certainty that they were never there before this release.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Inspector Hammer! said:
While the stars in those two shots are faded I can tell you with certainty that they were never there before this release.
Yeah, I went back and looked at both DVDs and the stars aren't there. As bizarre as it sounds, I guess Cameron left almost everything alone except for correcting and adding stars in a handful of shots. I guess he wanted to satisfy that rabid subset of Titanic fans who are also astronomers. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My girlfriend and I caught on screening yesterday since it was the 100th Anniversary of the sinking.
I have always defended this film against those "critics" who began attacking it once it starting to bring in so much cash. I believe I ended up seeing it six times on its original release (only 2 were planned by me), one on DVD and now yesterday. While this "epic" is a "classic" I don't think I'd call it flawless and there are quite a few flaws. They don't take away from the greatness just like the flaws of other epics like THE BIRTH OF A NATION, GONE WITH THE WIND and BEN HUR don't take away from those films.
The great stuff is certainly the special effects, Winslet's performance and the love and passion that is in every shot of the movie. It's nearly impossible not to get caught up in the story and I think Cameron does a nice job to bring you into the moment even when the dialogue or melodrama isn't perfect. I have been a fan of DiCaprio since THIS BOYS LIFE so I can at least say I was a fan before this movie. I still remember before this movie came out not a single person in the world knew him so it was really like my little secret (to the people in my school, my family). I never thought he gave a great performance here but I actually enjoyed it more yesterday than ever before.
Some of the stuff that improved for me were the smaller stories. In 1997 I just knew the ship sunk so I missed out on many of the smaller stories but having seen and read so much the past few months I got more out of the supporting characters. There are so many small things in the movie that pay homage to real events or stuff that they discovered once they started going inside the ship. I thought these added a lot more in regards to the entertainment. Now having a kid, the scenes with kids dying were a lot more effective.
As for the 3D, I really don't think it was needed but at least it didn't take away from the movie. I thought it worked best to add some depth to the ship at the start of the movie.
Now, the biggest flaw for me is the same one I had in 1997 and that's the fact Cameron made Zane a bigger villain than the iceberg. Leo being locked up, having to be rescued and then the two have to run away from a maniac with a gun only to save themselves again was just too corny. I don't think it adds nearly as much drama as if they had kept the focus on the boat and its sinking. I think the Zane character helps build up the romance between the two but to then have him turn into a maniac was just a little too much.
And for the life of me I still don't see how this got a PG-13 rating.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Michael Elliott said:
Now, the biggest flaw for me is the same one I had in 1997 and that's the fact Cameron made Zane a bigger villain than the iceberg.
I have to agree with you on that point. This actually bothered me more seeing it recently than it did in 1997. I think it would have been entirely plausible and perhaps more human had Rose simply had to struggle with knowing that she would hurt Zane but that she simply wanted a different life than he had to offer. At least Cameron had the good sense to cut the 5 minute long sequence where David Warner chases the lovers through the dining room trying to retrieve the diamond. That was really too much. I mean, he's worried about the diamond with freezing cold water rising above his knees? That being said, the footage of the dining room slowly flooding, with the plates floating of the tables, etc. is very impressive to watch and eerie to say the least. That sequence must have cost a fortune to film but Cameron recognized it didn't work and cut it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Titanic held up very well this weekend dropping only 33% to approx $12million. It's made close to $45 million already. Looks like it will end its domestic run with about $70 million.
Amazing for a 15 year old film on its first rerelease.
I'll probably see it one last time in IMAX this week. Doubt I'll ever get this chance again. Hope I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks