What's new

Titanic DVD for $8.99?! (1 Viewer)

Vin

Supporting Actor
Has anyone purchased Titanic from overstock.com?
The description of the disc says that it's pan and scan but the picture of the DVD cover says Widescreen Edition. Based on some of the other DVD descriptions at their site, I'm questioning their accuracy.
I'd love to jump on this DVD at this price but only if it's widescreen and not the pan and scan (only) version. Are there actually two versions of this DVD?
Has anyone here purchased the Titanic DVD from Overstock or know definitively what format/s this DVD is?
Thanks,
Vin

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
There is no pan & scan DVD of Titanic. (Not even an open-matte/Fullscreen.) :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I checked one web-site and it says Titanic is 2.35:1, non-anamorphic. Does anyone know if an anamorphic release or SE is on the way?

Mike_HT

Agent
Titanic DVD is non-anamorphic
Well I've got a 4:3 TV now but I'm planning for the future. I havent watched the movie yet so I'm sure I can wait for a anamorphic re-release later on....hopefully
Thanks for the info guys...already had it in my shopping cart. :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I find it hilarious that the one of the highest growsing (or is it THE highest?) movies of all times does not have an ultimate edition out yet. I know many that haven't bought this yet because its a bare bones non-anamorphic version.

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I thought I knew about "anamorphic" until I happened upon this thread. Now, a little reading later, and I am better versed.
BTW, it doesn't seem the Titantic's James Cameron shares the widescreen preference that most director's prefer. See this .

Shaun C

Agent
Joey, that is interesting. While I consider myself a widescreen supporter and am not a 'no black bars at any cost' kind of person, I do prefer to have most of my 16x9 screen filled. That is why I bought one in this AR and also so large, to be closer to a theater performance. That is why I prefer 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen as opposed to 2.35:1 non-anamorphic. Also, I usually prefer OAR to FF because usually OAR means you get more of the picture. But these examples from Air Force One, (and I guess due to the caption, Titanic), make me wonder if at least some movies, for home presentation, I would maybe prefer Full Screen. I know I like the shot shown of AF1 in FS better that the OAR shot.

By the way, I also think an Anamorphic Special Edition of TITANIC is overdue.

Kinda makes you wonder, why the hell they can't have a standard ratio and filming technique.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I bought Titanic from Overstock and had the same concern. Shortly after I ordered it, they had two different listings, one widescreen, one FF. I became concerned that I may have ordered the wrong version. I searched all over the net and came to the conclusion that there was never any 1.33:1 version of Titanic on DVD. And my copy did prove to be 2.35:1.

BTW, it may be non-anamorphic, but it is a very nice transfer. I don't believe there are any announced plans for a re-release.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Van Ling said there's a variety of issues

1- The film is owned by Fox internationally, Paramount domestically. Any SE would be a group effort, and getting 2 studios to play nice is always hard

2- James Cameron needs to have time to do it, he's knee deep in a ton of projects, and getting enough cash to get Leo on camera is going to be EXPENSIVE. Forget David Warner period. The rest of them ain't going to be cheap either, and I'm sure Van is having nightmares about the talent budget alone

That being said, since they missed the 5th Anniversary, who knows when it'll happen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks