Titanic dts DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Apparently so according to this eBay auction.
    Is this a case of the someone not knowing what he/she was selling?

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Got me[​IMG]

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This is either a fake/copy or a misprint.

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Its fake. Rumor is that a SE will come out (eventually). There is a huge petition about it floating arount the forum. Most of the people who signed it, demanded a DTS track on it. Maybe Paramount will come to their senses and actually make a good dvd.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    for the last year or so, most bootleg DVDs have been claiming to have a DTS track on them; i suppose they believe that it will make them more desirable.

DJ

6. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

If we could get a SE of Titanic we should be happy with that. Paramount's attitude on DTS on their discs hasn't changed. The ebay thing "ain't real".

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

It just looked to me like someone who didn't know what they were talking about. They seemed to think DOLBY/DTS is a single sound format- notice it's listed that way both times.
    The cover is just the regular edition- so the seller is confused. IN fact if you check their other auctions, this sound format seems to pop up often (on other discs without DTS):
    DVD "Scarface" Dolby/DTS - OOP - MINT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1529742872
    **Scarface Starring Al Pacino is "Out Of Print"(OOP)** You are bidding on a viewed only one time MINT CONDITION original WIDESCREEN DVD Movie. This DVD has DOLBY/DTS Digital Sound but does not have the promotional insert inside the case...
    And again, and again:
    DVD "Scarface" Dolby DTS - OOP - MINT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1530155474
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1530936638
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1530938291
    I'd bet if you could search completed auctions listed by this seller-- you'd find that every DVD they ever sold was Dolby/DTS format.
    Just a confused seller. Someone should drop them an email and inform them that DTS is a sound format seperate from Dolby, and that the discs they've sold don't have DTS.
    -V

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I dropped an email once to an eBay seller who was advertising a DVD of Independnce Day as DTS. After a profane reply telling me that this was a Region 3 version and I didn't know what the @#%#$ I was talking about (the Region 3 by the way is NOT DTS) he continued to harrass me for two months by email.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I've mailed a couple sellers in the past regarding obvious mistakes in their listings. Mostly they just blame their "assistants" who are entering (making up?) the details and descriptions. The descriptions never get changed, though. And this guy will probably get away with it since all HT enthusiasts likely know his listing is wrong and will not bid, and those who bid/win the auction probably don't know the difference.

10. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    There was a DTS laserdisc release of Titanic.

The only DTS laserdisc Paramount ever did IIRC.

Not that it means anything here - it's definatly the DVD that is shown on the auction.

Joel

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Thanks Vince and everyone else, for clearing that up. I was 99.99% sure that Titanic DVD has never had a dts release.

I was hoping deep down that there might be a non-region 1 dts release. Oh well.

12. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Actually, if it's bootleg, there is a decent chance it IS DTS. More and more bootlegs recently offered on eBay have been featuring genuine DTS. An example of this is the Star Wars DVDs, which actually feature true Dolby Digital AND DTS. That is not a good sign for the studios, especially since many people buy these DVDs without realizing that they're bootlegs.