What's new

TITANIC coming up. Who is getting what region and why? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hiya Geoff!

My ex from Winchester did snag me the 5 disc set and she's posting it tomorrow. :)
One thing that is certainly better is watching films at 25fps, 50 hz, (Native PAL) and avoiding the 3/2 pulldown effects. Much more like watching film in the cinema!

Cheers! d

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

No they never completed it, was supposedly pulled by Cameron.

The R2 has an extra made for TV special running over 30 minutes, but this was made for the original theatrical release. Also you get loads of trailers.
The 3 Titanic parodies are easter eggs on R1 but are menu selectable on disk 3 of the R2 SE.

If you are in UK then best version is the Virgin exclusive 5 disk for £19.99 instore, which comes with Ghosts of the Abyss as the 5th disk (UK R2 of this is only 1 disk as just theatrical version but you do get DTS, R1 is 2 disk with extended version on disk 2 but no DTS).
If you dont want this just get the 4 disk.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, The R1 Ghosts of the abyss has both versions on disc one I belive with the supplements on the 2nd disc.

:)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>If you are in UK then best version is the Virgin exclusive 5 disk for £19.99 instore...
---
yeah. their order page will not do USA, otherwiase that puppy would be mine...

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I would've gone for the 5-discer but I managed to snag the Japanese 3-D edition of Ghosts Of The Abyss and so that extra disc would've been kinda redundant. :D

The R2 has that set of trailers, which won't excite most people. But I do like to see the trailers of my favourite movies, mainly because they can provide tantalising glimpses of deleted or alternate footage, and the Titanic ones are no exception. There's even an unfinished trailer presented in rough-cut form, which is an unusual but welcome addition.

It's indicative of the care taken in putting this set together, another example of which is that the deleted scenes are all properly transferred to PAL, with no nasty artefacts when viewed deinterlaced. If only the documentary was there, then this DVD set would've been perfect...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Got the 5 disc yesterday. Unfortunately the "Ghosts" disc is indeed only the theatrical version. Weird.
Anyways, some of the deleted scenes were fab. I can see why they were cut but it was great seeing more character moments and more of fabrizio etc...
The "shooting star scene" was great IMHO.
Interestingly the PQ was just a HAIR better on the deleted scenes than the film I thought. The pods are pretty cool for the most part and it seems like a Documentary was indeed being produced as they had current day interviews mixed in with the archived behind the scenes stuff. I wish the widescreen parts were encoded anamorphically for the newly shot stuff. Lucas does it. Other than that some pretty good info. and footage.
And "Titanic with Bunnies" rules!

:) d

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Dave Mack: Which Oppo do you have? I am looking around for a better (than what I have) all-region player now that my non-R1 collection has become sizeable, very few available in Canada it seems, but Oppo 971 is. Thanks.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

As I posted earlier in this thread.
The UK has only seen a release of the theatrical version of Ghosts of the Abyss. The DVD was only 1 disk (and an exact copy is included in the 5 disk Virgin set) and omits the disk 2 from the R1 set which had the extended version. However you do get DTS unlike R1 on the theatrical version.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting... But the R1 of "Ghosts" actually has both versions on Disc 1 and all the supplements on Disc 2. The longer version is better actually...
I do have the oppo 971. best Pq so far over DVI. I still have a zenith dvb318 that is hacked for component upconversion and region free playback. I wanna sell it but I have to find the instruction manual.

:)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
so, great. I finally get this. (The ex in England rules!) and my disc 2 freezes. ARGH!
She bought it at the Virgin store in London, she lives about an hour away and never gets there, maybe 3x a year, so what do I do?

HELP!

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks