TITANIC coming up. Who is getting what region and why?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hi All!

I REALLY want the 4 disc set and am leaning towards the UK R2 version. Apparently Mexico and Brazil will also get a 4 disc set and they are NTSC so no PAL speedup issue but it is unsure if they will have DTS.
    I'm kinda pissed at Paramount for excluding the 4th disc here.

The PAL r2 disc set should have better PQ as there are approximately 100 more lines of vertical res. (I have an Oppo player that outputs native PAL with no downconversion and my PJ displays 576P) so aside from the speedup issue, R2 is a non-brainer for me.

What will everyone else be getting?

[​IMG] d

2. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

I really want the R4 4 disc. Just a matter of confirming it's NTSC and DTS. Seems to be conflicting reports from some sources if it's DTS.

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hiya Pat!

Remember, R4 is also Australia which is PAL so be careful. R4 can be NTSC OR PAL!!!

[​IMG] d

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

The UK R2

1. 2 discs -dont need 3
    2..Cameroons mug is not on the cover (and a rather handsome cover it is)
    3. I had some credit to use at CDWOW!

**EDIT: Ive just been to the DVDTALK-CDWOW portal (Bargains)
    and the price has dropped from $22.95 to $14.95!
    Needless to say, I reordered, cancelled the old, and got an INSTANT cheerful refund* (and my credit voucher back, too!)
    all-around great guys.
    Due out in the UK on November 7.

* and unlike most places, including a well known place in Canada-the refund appeared back in my CC account THE NEXT DAY!

5. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

While I'm sure I'll wind up getting the 3-disc R1 set, I'd love to get my hands on a Mexican- or Brazilian-NTSC formatted copy of that fourth disc! Any help with this, let me know! [​IMG]

6. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Anyone know if the R1 "Limited Edition Gift Set" will be released on R2?

7. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Is it possible that the 4th disc will be issued as a "Best Buy Bonus Disc" here in the US?

8. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

R4 confirmed by all sources as containing DTS, although we wont know for sure until the discs are in our hot little hands here in Australia.

I shall be purchasing the R4 version. To my knowledge, Fox (the distributor here in Australia) have never put out a film on DVD in the NTSC format, so PAL all the way baby!!!!

9. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I'm actually going for the R1 for $17.95. Although I do buy a lot of non-R1 discs, am usually a stickler for getting the biggest, baddest set, and the R2 4-disc can be had for not too much, I still can't be bothered to buy it abroad because of the weak content of disc 4. The only thing I will miss is the trailers, which should have been on the 3-disc.

10. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Not possible; I checked this morning.

I thought that this would be a heavily-ordered title, but it appears that my BB received ~20 copies and CC had ~15.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Still no R2 UK reviews! Odd....

I'm jealous because so many are watching the new SE tonite but it's the PRINCIPLE! Screw Paramount for giving R1 fans the shaft in comparison!

12. Maggi Magg

Maggi Magg Stunt Coordinator

Well Dave

I think this 4th disc is not that exciting.
    On that you have an extra HBO featurette and some other stuff that´s on the US release as easter eggs.
    There is one thing that bothers me about the US release though and that is the amount of soundtracks on these discs.
    You have the English DD 5.1 and DTS 6.1,English 2.0 surround, all the commentaries + french and spanish Dubs!!!!!!
    That´s quite alot of soundtracks.
    Anyway here´s a site that covers all versions of this release:

http://www.geocities.com/vtyrty/TitanicSE.html

Cheers
    Maggi

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hiya Maggi!

I do love trailers though and the 4th disc has tons of them. The 3 disc doesn't have one. Not even the old one that was on the original DVD. And the HBO special was actually very good, much better than the typical HBO fluff piece. And no "Titanic with Bunnies" parody which is HILARIOUS!

[​IMG] Cheers!

14. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

I watched my new Region 2 five disc set of "Titanic" last night.

Firstly, I didn't see the reported glitch and I was really looking! Mayeb this is exclusive to Region 1?

Secondly, the picture is fantastic and so is the sound. Has anyone done a comparison review of Region 1 vs Region 2 yet?

The packaging is also excellent.

Now, one thing about the sound is that the dialogue in the centre channel seems to be mixed quite low in the overall DTS mix I thought.

This means that you turn it up to hear what people are saying clearly and then have your head blown off and your speakers blown up when they suddenly go to the boiler room or another loud scene.

Did anyone else notice this when you listened to yours?

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I was thinking of getting the R2 set but I think I'm gonna stick with R1 after all. This review
    compares the R1 NTSC vs. the R2 PAL and their conclusion, (and the screencaps show IMHO) that the R1 is a tad sharper. Interesting since the PAL version has more lines of res. and could look better. I'm still peeved that the R1 set loses the 4th disc. Paramount blows....http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59086

16. Martin Jeeves

I have to be honest Dave... I couldn't see any differences between the screencaps at all. I wrote the author of that review, Eamonn McCusker and he kindly replied with this statement...

"...As for the R1 being superior, there's probably not a point in it but if you look at the 2-disc review, click on the screen shots and look carefully at the lines running down the length of the ship that look to be grouped together in bunches of five and six, you'll see that the R1 has a very slightly sharper picture. Basically, the lines are more distinct on the R1 the further they go down the ship than on the R2.
    Like I said, probably not a point in it but the R1 is just that bit sharper..."

Therefore, with so little in it in terms of picture... I think I will still get the Region 2 for the extra two discs (I'll get the Virgin exclusive 5 disc set with "The Ghosts of the Abyss" included).

Cheers,

M.J.

17. Martin Jeeves

Additionally,

looking at the enlarged screenshots (click on them) above each other (Region 1 top, Region 2 below) I find that the Region 1 top screenshot to be marginally darker than the Region 2. Not much in it but it is enough to give the Region 1 a slightly added "snap" to the picture.

Having said that... the Region 2 therefore seems to have slightly more detail in the darker areas (because it is lighter by a fraction). For instance, look at the underside of the launching lifeboat on the left. The Region 2 shows more details in the wooden hull than the Region 1 does.

I think that if the Region 1 was lightened ever so slightly to look exactly like the Region 2, or alternatively, the Region 2 darkened to match the Region 1 then the sharpness would be almost identical. Very interesting.

IMHO, the difference is even smaller than a superbit upgrade so I think the extra discs might be worth it. Having said that... I am toying with the idea of getting the Region 1 "Titanic" and swapping over the movie discs but keeping the Region 2 extras and packaging.

Thanks again. Any thoughts? [​IMG]

18. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hiya! My ex in England is supposedly getting me the 5 disc set. I might get the R1 as well if the speedup drives me nuts which on certain titles does. We'll see. I'm also curious to compare the PQ. I have the OPPO dvd player that outputs native PAL so full 576P res.

[​IMG]

19. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hiya! My ex in England is supposedly getting me the 5 disc set. I might get the R1 as well if the speedup drives me nuts which on certain titles does. We'll see. I'm also curious to compare the PQ. I have the OPPO dvd player that outputs native PAL so full 576P res.

[​IMG]

20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Dave, you've finally cottoned on that just because it's PAL, doesn't mean it's always better. There are some out there that do look better, as you've noticed, but some are also worse.

PAL transfers of movies like Psycho or Shawshank have been softened considerably when compared to the R1. In the case of Psycho, the R2 was anamorphic and the R1 non-anamorphic - yet the R1 has the finer levels of detail.

That's the beauty of having a multi-region set-up and access to the internet; you can make informed decisions and pick the best releases from around the world. Welcome to the club. [​IMG]

I dunno if you've got either Titanic set yet, but you won't be disappointed. The PAL picture quality is superb (watched it again today, this time with Cameron's decent commentary) and the sound mix is cavernous. The only time the speed-up bothered me is the difference in Cameron's voice on his commentary!