What's new

Titanic and the missing Trailers on the U.S. DVD (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
van, is there a reason why paramount dropped the trailers for the u.s. release of the dvd? fox had them on their dvd including a storyboard version of the teaser, which i'd love to see in final form, but that ain't gonna happen ;)

Van Ling

Insider
Enrico, the Titanic SE was originally to be a 4-disc set for both domestic (Paramount) and worldwide (Fox) release, but when the planned new documentary was dropped late in the process (the official word being that JC wanted to wait until Leo could participate, so it would be complete), Fox elected to keep it a 4-disc set while Paramount dropped it to a 3-disc set to save costs. Basically, without the doc, there was one and a half discs' worth of bonus material left; you could either make it two discs with some unused space, or reduce it to one disc. As a result, Paramount elected to toss a bunch of materials to fit all the bonus materials on a single disc. Since Fox was handling the international discs, they could do it differently from Paramount, so they did.

V

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
understandable why they did it.

thank you van
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just want to say thank you for providing the final words on this subject, which was full of so much speculation and head-scratching all in frustration as everyone was left in the dark about these things.

The answers to these questions are so...reasonable and non-controversial than what most of us here on HTF thought when discussing the DVD release.

So, Thank you very much!

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Van, was the documentary ever completed with Leo's participation? Is there still a chance we might see this down the road as part of the BD presentation?

Mark

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I hope it's released and contains something, anything related to the film's music. That was one aspect of the film all but ignored on the DVD, save for the cast/crew commentary track. The music, separate from that song, had a vitally important impact on the film and deserved to be recognized beyond that one song.

I figured the documentary must have featured something about it, but because the doc was dropped and there was nothing else about it in any other featurettes to include, that was that.

Van Ling

Insider
Mark, the doc was never completed, and as far as I understand it, Leo has not given an interview for it. We can always keep our fingers crossed that it will happen one day...

Nicholas, there was indeed supposed to be a nice section on the music, as documentarian Ed Marsh did do an interview with James Horner. Sadly, most of the great interview bits had been earmarked for the doc, so I was not able to use any of them for the "white rabbit"-style video segments ("pods") that I had put together and finished before the doc was dropped.

And believe it or not, I never even SAW any of the doc put together; Ed was working on it full-time while I was focusing on everything else: the video pods, the commentaries, the deleted scenes, the still galleries, etc.... which kept me pretty well busy. The DVD menus, by the way, were done by Drissi Multimedia.

V

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
That documentary sounds like one of the great unseen holy grails of DVD, much like the long rumored 'Cocooned' Paul Reiser deleted scene from "Aliens" and various cut scenes from the original "Star Wars" trilogy.

Speaking of deleted scenes, including those Titanic deleted scenes and alternate ending, fully restored and sound mixed was downright perfect. So many wonderful moments included.

In a strange way I'm sorry we know more about the documentary, because now we know more about what we're missing!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just throwing this idea out there -- but perhaps the documentary can be completed now and released with the eventual Blu-ray? Considering that Cameron has AVATAR finally coming out in December, it would seem an ideal time to revisit Titanic in hi-def, especially on the international front because Fox is the distributor for both films.

On that note, Van, are you doing anything for the release of Avatar at this point? I assume it will have an elaborate DVD when it streets sometime next year, but I think it's pretty wierd that the movie is slated for a December theatrical release and we have yet to see any trailers/behind-the-scenes EPK footage/posters or what have you.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Any word on a blu release of Titanic with the missing extras?

Oh and nice cameo in the film; you really looked convincing being lost.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
With Jim Cameron having the film converted to 3-D, don't be surprised if that is what we're ultimately all waiting for in terms of a Blu-ray release. Of course I hope that documentary is included, so all aspects of the film's production can be finally shown with no exclusions.

Paramount would also (more than likely) place it under their new "Sapphire" series of releases (Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump - Titanic certainly qualifies to join those under that new banner)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks