What's new

Titanic (1997) has greatest ending of all time, according to new survey. (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye."

Nuff said.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Rick: "Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that... Here's looking at you kid."

Renault: "Major Strasser has been shot! Round up the usual suspects."

Rick: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
My favorite part of Titanic was definitely the ending....

"you mean when the old lady throws the jewel back into the sea ?"

No, I mean the part where it ends.... it STOPS. There is NO MORE. Definitely my favorite part.

(paraphrased from a hilarious scene with William Shatner in a Brad Paisely music video)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I'll add another vote for Brazil. Excellent movie with a fantastic climax ( unless you've seen the edited version! ).

Other movies with great endings:
King Kong ( how come nobody mentioned this yet??? )
Solaris ( Tarkovsky version )
Back to the Future ( and part three has a great ending too )
The Quiet Earth ( although I'm still not 100% sure exactly what happened )
The Time Machine ( we cannot choose but wonder... )
Throne of Blood ( Mifune the human pin cushion )
The Hidden Fortress ( classic action getaway )
Taxi Driver ( the final 10 mins )

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Tommy, don't forget the jealous psycho-boyfriend. I liked the movie and Cameron's written some good scripts, but that one seemed to be on auto-pilot. The movie was more a display of his directing skills than writing.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with the post that states the greatest ending is coming this December:

"Well, I'm back..."

Oh, and CraigS: I love the still shot of the White Rider, and the quote from the book... I get chills...

paul_v

Second Unit
In addition to all the other films mentioned, I thought Vanilla Sky's ending was good where you figure out what the hell is going on heh

p.s. some of the posts in this thread had my laughing out loud. My coworkers think I'm nuts hehe

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"It's sad when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son. I couldn't allow them to believe that I would commit murder. They'll put him away now, as I should have, years ago. He was always bad and in the end, he intended to tell them I killed those girls and that man. As if I could do anything except just sit and stare, like one of his stuffed birds. Oh, they know I can't even move a finger and I won't. I'll just sit here and be quiet, just in case they do suspect me. They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am.
I'm not even gonna swat that fly. I hope they are watching. They'll see. They'll see and they'll know and they'll say, 'Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly.'"

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
For a solid ending to a good film, I have to look at the ending of Superman again. The final scene, of Superman bringing Lex Luthor and Otis to jail, then telling the warden, "Don't thank me, we're all part of the same team," is great, especially with the John Williams fanfare over the final shot of Superman flying over the Earth. That still sends chills up my spine, it's just great.

As for the ending of Titanic, James Cameron never specifically stated that Rose died at the end of the film. In the Titanic Illustrated Screenplay book, Cameron poses the question: "Does Rose die at the end of the film, or does she merely go to sleep and dream? You decide." He deliberately left that part of the ending vague for viewers to decide, although there's enough justification for either decision.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Actually, I don't find Titanic a terribly good example of his directing skills where the actors are concerned. I agree, when it came to the syrupy love story with the jealous, psychotic boyfriend & the imprisonment that Rose faces being married to the bastard, Cameron uses every cliche in the book. People can argue with me all they want about it being a romance but there are ways to make a romance more interesting & original.

Oh yeah, yet another cliche, steerage vs luxury passengers: The steerage folks are relegated to the lower decks & have a much better party than the luxury folks who have a boring, snobbish time in the main dining hall which is, naturally, off-limits to everyone but Jack. We've seen this theme before.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Osgood: I called Mama. She was so happy she cried. She wants you to have her wedding gown. It's white lace.
Daphne: Yeah, Osgood. I can't get married in your mother's dress. Ha ha, she and I, we are not built the same way.
Osgood: We can have it altered.
Daphne: Aw no you don't! Osgood, I'm gonna level with you. We can't get married at all.
Osgood: Why not?
Daphne: Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde.
Osgood: Doesn't matter.
Daphne: I smoke. I smoke all the time.
Osgood: I don't care.
Daphne: Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player.
Osgood: I forgive you.
Daphne: I can never have children.
Osgood: We can adopt some.
Daphne: You don't understand, Osgood. I'm a man!
Osgood: Well... nobody's perfect!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought Titanic had a very serviceable script. The audiences I saw the film with loved it...even the heavy-handed bits. There are cliches in the romance, but the acting polishes most of it up in my view.

As for Tommy's comment:
Oh yeah, yet another cliche, steerage vs luxury passengers: The steerage folks are relegated to the lower decks & have a much better party than the luxury folks who have a boring, snobbish time in the main dining hall which is, naturally, off-limits to everyone but Jack. We've seen this theme before.
That's, uhh, how it was. It's a cliche because it's true.

Take care,
Chuck

Jennifer^^W

Auditioning
The Pledge
Fight Club
Momento
Moulin Rouge
The Usual Suspects

oh, and I love at the end of Oceans 11 when they're all standing at the fountain, and they leave one at a time.:)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The steerage folks are relegated to the lower decks & have a much better party than the luxury folks who have a boring, snobbish time in the main dining hall which is, naturally, off-limits to everyone but Jack. We've seen this theme before.
If that were really true, my best travel ever would have been in a troopship. Five to seven bunks high and not enough room to walk down the aisles unless you turn sideways.

Somehow I’ve always had more fun with champagne, caviar and women with plunging necklines and bare backs. And a band for a turn on the floor.

The cliché is that it is more fun to be poor. The reality is that it is not.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Yes, of course, but the WAY it's depicted in the film is the same way its been done in every other film w/an upper-echelon vs lowest class theme. Cameron usually excels at showing us new ways to tell old stories but he misses it here & falls back on classic Hollywood convention.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, I can't argue with that! I appreciated the hoary cliches as I thought it suited the film, but that's taste. I see your very astute point.

Take care,
Chuck

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"I've.. seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark at the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time.. like.. tears.. in rain... time to die."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks