Titanic 10 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Studios seem to be getting in line for a Titanic 10th Anniversary (2007) re-release in multi-formats at the box office. As vendors are already being asked to prepare merchandising concepts, the idea is to pull out a Titanic 10th Annviersary edition, cleaned up, some extra footage along with an IMAX (and/or IMAX3d, I'm unsure of that) version to go with.

Most assuredly what this will accomplish is further distance Titanic from any of it's other box-office competitors in terms of total BO.

2. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Interesting. I wonder how well it will do, myself. I guess the extra stuff will pull people in. It seems to me, movies have to have some gimmick like that just to be re-released. It didn't help "Alien" though, and I'm still mad about that one (referring to the director's cut that was supposed to get a wide release a few years back).

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I can think of a few Titanic nerds (like myself) that are going to be very happy if this happens.

As for adding stuff back in, I think the movie works perfectly in its current form. The historical stuff (which is great as a supplement) would slow down the Rose and Jack story. There's only one scene that I would like to see re-incorporated back into the movie. Although I'm sure a number of folks want to see every frame put back in. [​IMG]

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

[​IMG]

Jack "I'm king of the world!!"
    Rose "Sorry...another Jack and ship will soon be."
    Jack "Who?"

Rose "This Jack....."
    [​IMG]

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Would LOVE to see Titanic in theaters again next year. One of the most memorable movie going events in my life. [​IMG]

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    10 years. Damn. Where is the time going?

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Tell me about it. When you think about it, since Titanic we've had the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, X-Men Trilogy, Spidey 1 & 2, Pirates 1 & 2 and many more huge hits that filled in these near 10 years. Amazing.

8. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Next year will be a big one for Hollywood. The 30th anniversary of the original "Star Wars", the 25th anniversaries of 'E.T.' and "Blade Runner", the 10th anniversary of "Titanic" (which has remained the biggest hit in history since taking the crown in the second week of March in 1998), and the 10th anniversary of "Men in Black" (was Sony's biggest hit until Spidey hit the scene in 2002, and remains the studio's third biggest hit behind the two Spidey flicks) all take place in '07.

Still, I can't believe its been nearly 10 years since "Titanic" hit theaters. I'd honestly be blown away if we ever saw another movie perform that way that one did. I mean, earning more than $20 million in each of its first 10 weeks in theaters? Amazing.

I wonder how many anniversary DVD sets we're going to get next year.

9. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I'd do anything to see this thing in IMAX. Don't funk it up with an extended edition. I wanted ONE of the deleted scenes back in myself, but don't mess with the balance [​IMG]

I'd see this a few times on the big screen if I could. That would be great news.

10. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Cute...but it'll never happen...

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

In all fairness, the movie premiered in December of 1997, so we're well more than a year away from it being 10 years.

12. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

I would gladly watch the last half of the film in 3-D, normal IMAX, regular theater, all of the above, etc.

But the first half...meh. Tough to sit through now.

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Yep, no messing with this one. Leave it alone in ALL of it's ORIGINAL glory.

Chuck, can you imagine the sound quality on an IMAX theater. When the ship starts breaking apart, the beautiful & haunting score played back on what they claim to be "10,000" watts of RAW power. Already getting excited about it. Hope the IMAX rumors are indeed true! [​IMG]

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Watched it at least 10 times on the Imax screen in NYC. Still 35mm of course, but it did do a workout on the sound system. Just awe inspiring. So glad I was working at the theatre at that time.

15. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

Will IMAX be capable of a 3-hour showing with no intermission by December 2007? I thought 150 minutes was the current limit.

16. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Clearly, you missed Cameron's latest interview:

"I think Cal chasing Jack and Rose with a gun makes him come across as too heartless and violent... So to get the movie in line with my original vision, Jack's going to point a gun at Cal first. It's what I always meant to do, and now I have the technology to do it."

[​IMG]

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Did you say gun?

Gun + Revisionism == ?

--
    H

18. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Everyone knows he's gonna point a walkie talkie, if anything.

19. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

[​IMG]

20. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Man, 10 years since the single most significant movie-going experience of my lifetime! My emotions have never been put through the wringer as hard as when I saw that wonderful film. [​IMG]

The sheer power of that film was akin to TITANIC herself crying out from the deep and making us see and feel what that night was really like for her and her passengers.

There will never be another film like it in my lifetime and I will be there to celebrate it's anniversary next year, you can bet your first class ticket on that. [​IMG]