1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

titan vs. cbm-170

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rob E, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Rob E

Rob E Extra

Which one would you recommend and why? I am slowly putting together my HT system and have decided its going to be between these two bookshelf speakers. Thanks for your input-

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Before I got my Ascend CBM-170's, I listened to Paradigms a lot.

IMO, no comparison. The CBM-170's are a much better speaker all around.

The best thing to do is do the 30 day trial and ask your Paradigm dealer if can bring the 170's in to compare. Make sure to also compare them to the Mini-Monitor, and Studio 20.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That is an odd pairing. IMO, they are not even in the same league.

While I'm sure you would be more than happy with the 170s, you might do well to ask around for a few more options and give a budget. There are quite a few good bookshelf speakers in this price range. I'd also recommend the 30 day trial.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    About $100 difference. I got my v3 sheilded Titans for $189+tax, which is about 25% off. The Minis would be closer at $369 MSRP (can usually be had for less).

Also, what will you be driving them with?

See here also: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=169135

6. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

I have demoed the two side by side and the Ascends in my opinion are a far superior speaker and well worth the price differential.

The Ascends are detailed sounding without sounding bright or harsh (which as you hear more and more speakers is a rare combination) and reproduces music and vocals with uncanny accuracy.

The Paradigm Titans, in comparison, definitely had a "darker" sound to them: less detail, energy and vibrancy. The Titans do play noticeably lower then the Ascends, so if you are going without a subwoofer, this may be a pivotal issue for you.

As Curtis said, when comparing the Ascends to the Paradigm lineup, the Titans really aren't the apples to apples comparison. The Studio 20s and the Mini Monitors are better head-to-head comparisons, but even those speakers are inferior to the Ascends when I compared them.

But the best thing to do is always to do as I did, and compare the speakers that you are interested in side by side and let your own predilections guide you.

Victor

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

170s blew my beloved Mini-monitors right out of the house. It doesn't surprise me that Victor liked the 170s over Studio 20s. Victor summed up the differences very well, except in my case in it would be the same comparison description for Mini-Monitors not the Titans.