Tired of waiting for my Diamonds.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Riaad, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi

I have asked a few questions on which Wharfedale Diamond combination to choose on the forum before.I was very gratefully guided into deciding on the :
    8.4 - Mains
    Diamond Center
    Diamond 8.1 Surrounds

The problem that i have now is that the store im buying them from doesn't have stock of the 8.4's and they not quite sure of when they will be getting them in. i have been waiting for a long time and am now getting very impatient.They do however have the 8.3's , 8.2's ,8.1's and diamond center.The reason why I also considered getting the 8.4s is that they only about 200 Rand more i.e($25)than the 8.3's. Is there a big difference to justify waiting for them?
    By the way my room is only 10x 12 feet.Not very big.I do plan to get a sub but not right now.

Wharfedale club wannabe . [​IMG]

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Riaad

That really bites! I can only imagine your frustration.

I would wait out for the 8.4's personally, especially if your not going to be running a sub for a time. The height difference will help also in getting them closer to ear level with out the use of a short speaker stand.

Might your dealer/seller let you barrow the 8.3's till your 8.4's arrive. I would think that being you have already ordered them threw the store, that this is something they might/should consider if they want your business.

Maybe a store demo pair of 8.3's and then the rest of your speaker system.

The wait you have endured to this point for the 8.4's is unacceptable in my opinion. Also not giving you a time frame for the 8.4's arrival, is BS.

Is the store/dealer an authorized Wharfedale vendor???

If so, I'd call Wharfedale themselves and explain the situation along with your dealers run around on a delivery time frame for your 8.4's!

Whafedale has excellent customer service and if your dealer is authorized I'm sure something can get done. Including Wharf themselves sending you a pair direct to you. I have seen this done.

Again, I think the overly long waiting situation you've'e been put in, is just unacceptable. Put some pressure on your dealer and suggest some of the things I mentioned.
    Like a pair of 8.3's to hold you till the 4's come in.
    Also a call to Wharf might be in order.

Regards
    Geoff

3. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi Geoff

Thanks. I will do that.But while waiting patiently I was just having a look the 8.4s and according to the specs, go down to 30 Hz. Is that correct?, because I have read that it needs to state that Its rated at 30hz at -3db.That's just slightly higher then some subs that are available.This forum is great and I have learnt quite a bit and I have been reading all the issues of bookshelves vs. floor standing. The one thing that confuses me a bit is that if you going to spend much more on a floor stander and still need a sub i.e..for HT and still set it to small in the speakers setup, wont it just be better to go with In my case 4x 8.1's (rated to 50hz) and then use the immense saving on a good quality sub that will fill the lower frequencies.

And to think i had it all figured out.
    [​IMG]

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Riaad

So many factors come into making a decision on what size speaks you may want to purchase and put into you room.

Size of the room, is music important and if so what kind/type, will you be doing or looking later to do DVD-A and or SACD multi channel music formates, personal speaker size preference in general[​IMG], equipment doing the Amplifying, the budget of course, and the list can go on.

Going with all bookshelf's and a "high quality powered sub" definitely can deliver on both music and HT.
    You also must figure stands for the mains, and stands or wall mounts for the surrounds into the budget also if going that route.

The 8.4 towers will play much deeper than the bookies for sure, but in NO way will they replace a sub (especially doing movie material)!
    As far as the 30Hz low frequency spec, they will play that low, but I'd suspect their rolling of very fast and most likely down 4 to 6db or more by 30hz.
    I (do not this for sure), but given driver size and cabinet volume, I'd suspect tuning in the mid 30's.
    Actual owners of the 8.4's may be able to comment on "actual bass" frequency output capability.

For 2-channel music, you may find the bass response is deep and strong enough with the 8.4's depending on what you listen to. Also with that, you may find NO need for stands as they should be very close to ear level. Yes they would make movie bass somewhat tolerable, but nothing like what a real sub will do.

All the speaks in that line are very good. Many of the Diamond models have Awards, User & Pro reviews (up the wazz) to back it up.

The only thing I can suggest, is a good quality sub is need for movies no matter what speakers you go with.
    If you can save enough money by going with the bookies all round, or a combination of bookies and bi-poles (can't remember if they make them in that line or not), to get yourself a good sub, this may very well be the way to go.
    This assumes you do not have a huge ass room to fill.

The Diamond bookshelf's have won more awards and professional reviewer praise than any speaker in that line.
    A killer bookie even at MSRP, and they certainly can be purchased for much less.

Their are a number of Diamond owners here at HTF and a search may bring forth information to help you decide. You might also start a thread asking about just this.

Help me decide which Diamonds and sub for my budget, receiver, and room size......???

Sorry, I'm in a big rush and I have to leave ASAP. Hope you can make some sense of all this mumbo jumbo...[​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

5. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the info.Really appreciate it.Since I am waiting for the 8.4s, Ill purchase the a pair of 8.1s and the diamond center.Ill use them upfront and move the the JVC speakers I have to the rear. I am sure ill be able to judge from that whether to go for the larger floor standers or just get another 2 bookies.I can also get
    the SA-Wm 500 Sony sub for about R1600 , that's about $200.Any other suggestions?

Regards
    Riaad

6. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Riaad,

Nice choice, by the way. I think the Diamonds are fantastic speakers at their price point.

You could always buy a good sub to take care of the bass and go with the 8.3's. However, the 8.4 has a broader soundstage and more 'depth' compared to the 8.3. Definately wait for the 8.4.

Just out of curiosity, have you listened to the Pacific Evolution line? Much like the Diamonds, they are excellent performers for the money....and exellent performers period. Give them a listen if you ever have the chance.