Tired of glasses, but contacts freak me out!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Jan 30, 2002.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I'm so tired of wearing glasses. The main thing that bothers me about them are how much of a pain they are to keep clean.
    I've been considering getting contacts, but I just can't get myself to put my finger in my eye [​IMG] Hell ... I can't even use eye drops properly!!
    Any suggestions for getting used to contacts? I'm thinking about going to my doctor and getting a trial pair.

2. Erich_H

Erich_H Auditioning

Once you get them in, you will get used to them pretty quickly (usually). The problem is getting them in at first. Give yourself extra time in the morning to put them in, because it is going to be hard at first. Contacts are WAY BETTER than glasses. I've been wearing contact for 10 years and I won't go back.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The first pair of contacts I ever tried were the hard kind when I was 10 (I'm 30 now and do they even make the hard kind anymore?). I HATED them. Stayed away for 10 years before trying the soft kind when I was 20. What a night and day difference.

Getting used to them is easy. Once you get over opening your eyelid and touching your eyeball (which takes maybe a week), you are all set. The contact doesn't even feel like it's in your eye (as long as it's clean and fitted correctly) and I will never go back to glasses only. Not only can I play sports like Hockey without having to worry about getting hit, but it did wonders for my confidence and self-esteem.

You owe it to yourself to go this route or at least investigate Lazik surgery (which I am not prepared to do just yet).

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I have gas permeable lenses and they are easy to put in. The trick is to not stick your finger directly into your eye. You pull down on your lower eyelid and place the lens on that. Then you slowly ease the lid back into place and the lens slides right onto the eye.

I'm not sure about soft lenses - you may have to stick those in directly if they aren't rigid enough to hold their shape.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Well, technically you aren't putting your finger "in" your eye. [​IMG] The lens is between your finger and your eye. It takes a few days to a few weeks to get the hang of inserting the lenses, but once you get the technique down, it's like second nature. Love my soft toric lenses. They are made for people with astigmatism. I buy disposables, which are a little more expensive, but I like having a fresh pair to put in every two weeks. I still remove them every night to disinfect them.

6. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

I've been wearing glasses for a few years now, moved to the varilux lenses [​IMG] as I aged.
    On my last visit to the eye doctor a few months ago, we talked about supplementing glasses with contacts. I've switched the prescription a few times to do some adjusting of distances with my doctor. I'm very happy and find I can now put them in my eyes in about 30 seconds compared to the 15 minutes I used to take when I first started [​IMG]
    My contacts are: Left eye for distance, right eye for close up. Took a bit to get used to, and at times I feel like the bionic man focusing in [​IMG]
    ~Kurt

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've had gas-perm lenses for 14 years. You get used to the whole thing.

Look at the positive side: once you get used to touching your eyes, it's a lot less stressful when you have to (I often get eyelashes falling in my eyes).

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm as emotional about this as Dave: No way will I put a lens in direct contact with my eye. As much a pain as glasses are, I'll stick with them until such time as medical technology improves and can give us something like Geordi LaForge has been wearing in the two most recent Star Trek feature films. Besides, I like the John Lennon look mine provide. My '60s "freak flag" colors are flying with pride--and I don't have to put anything in direct contact with my eyes.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hear, hear!
    (Except for the John Lennon look in my case... [​IMG])

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have worn glasses since I was 4 or 5 years old and I have grown to like them. Basically, I am WAY too lazy to put in contacts and I WILL NOT put anything on or in my eye (what if it went behind your eyeball... ewww). Plus what if I lose a contact while driving? I am BLIND as a BAT without them (really, I can't see 2 feet in front of my face [​IMG] )
    It will always be glasses for me (until I get that cool Star Trek visor [​IMG] )

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used to wear glasses and break them a lot. When the new pair cost was estimated to be about $300, I said stuff that and immediately got contacts. They said wear them for no more than 2 hours and increase the amount a little each day. I wore them for at least 12 hours the first day. Then I was totally used to it. In the beginning it feels like an eyelash is in your eye though.

13. Emery B

Emery B Agent

I've worn soft contacts for over 15 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had one fall out of my eye. It only happened after rubbing my eyes a bit too hard and the lens loses the suction to the eye...if football players can wear these during games and have no trouble, I wouldn't worry about losing one while driving [​IMG]
    The trick is to keep them as clean as possible. I use daily wear and I end up taking them out and cleaning them every day. Oh, and don't sleep in them either...they dry out and stick to your eye (that hurts!!). Another benefit to dailies is that since you are manipulating the lenses every day, you quickly learn the skills of handling them like placing and removing them from your eyes quickly and safely.
    Personally, I don't like the idea of the two-week or extended wear disposables. Why? Because they are easily forgotten about and people end up wearing them longer than they are designed to be worn. Also, if you are a new contact user, these lenses don't encourage the wearer to develop the skills of handling and caring for them (plus it's too easy to get lazy and sleep in them, which shortens their lifespan even more). Ironically, they might be perfect for someone like me who has the handling skills down pat and just wants more conveinence from lens wearing, but I like the discipline of the daily cleaning. And so do my eyes [​IMG]
    Oh, and don't worry about touching the surface of your eyeball with your fingertips. It only stings when your fingertip has oil or dirt on it, so wash up before you mess with your lenses. [​IMG] You'll get the hang of inserting/removing the lenses in two weeks if you do it every day.

14. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Here's the thing: I am the type of easily distracted person who would invariably fall asleep with my lenses on, adhering them to my eye. The thought of that makes me cringe, much less getting distracted and trying to insert a lense with dirty fingers.
    Contacts are better suited for people who know how to focus and I'm too scattered to be responsible with them.
    [​IMG]
    Joseph

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I can't wear contacts [​IMG] My eyes are EXTREMELY dry. I can get the contact in easy enough and its fine for maybe 2 minutes or so, but then argh!!! its starts sticking and scratching...get it out! get it out! I could just carry around eye drops but I'd be putting them in every few minutes...
    I wish I could wear them but I just can't [​IMG]

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

18. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

19. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

On a related issue, can anyone tell me what the differences are between disposable and 'permanent' lenses? I used to pay $100 for a pair of permanent lenses. I would wear them for maybe 2 years. Then I switched to weekly disposables. I would wear them for a year! No kidding! I took care of them the same way as permanent ones.

I remember in a marketing class I took, the professor mentioned a company was sued for selling the exact same lenses as disposable and permanent, with the difference only in price.

So what's the truth? I'm on month 3 of my weekly lenses right now. They feel just fine and I can see perfectly. I also wear them up to 16 hours a day with no problems.

Finally, I think lenses are a total rip off. A little bit of plastic that they can probably churn out by thousands every minute. Sheesh....they should cost maybe 25 cents a pair!

Eric

20. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I wore glasses when I was a kid, then got contacts in high school. I was the same way about my eyes, and it took a couple of people at the doctor's office to hold me still enough. As stated before, you rapidly get used to it.

I wore contacts until about 5-6 yrs ago, when I got my RK. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Tony