1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tired of all the app switching

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tony Sac14, Jan 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tony Sac14

Tony Sac14 Auditioning

Tony
    I have a 2016 OLED65C6P. I am tired of switching between all the all the apps, apple tv, xbox etc searching for a particular movie. Also I can't even use Xfinity Stream app on my tv because it is "too old". Is there a third party dashboard type app/hardware that I can use as my home screen when I turn on my TV, that will give me access to all my apps and allow me to easily search for a specific movie? Maybe even work with Xfinity Stream?? This would be so much easier!

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    A Roku will do most of that for you.... But so will an Apple TV for the most part.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

As Todd suggests, a dedicated streaming box will do that for you. If money is a concern, a Roku can be purchased for under $30 ($10 more for a 4K version). I ignore the apps on my "smart TV" and use either my Roku or Apple TV 4K. Dedicated boxes are a much better experience, and the apps are kept up to date better than the built-in apps on TVs and disc players. Plus, there are a lot more apps available on the dedicated boxes.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I don't use it this way very often, but doesn't the Apple Movie App on the AppleTV give search results for all viewing options, with a direct link to each streaming system/app?

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I bought the APPLE 4KTV but, as it has turned out, so far I prefer the apps on my LG OLED over the APPLE.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I believe they do this for companies that participate in their integrated system. Netflix I don't think does.

Also, these search systems don't always take you best result, sometimes highlighting a rental option instead of taking you to a service you're subscribed to.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Strangely enough, I have lip sync issues with the apps built into my LG OLED. But the same apps through my Roku Ultra are perfectly synced.

8. Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

9. Tony Sac14

Tony Sac14 Auditioning

Tony
    Thanks, I think Apple TV may work best, but (of course) Xfinity Stream doesn't have an app for Apple TV. Call me crazy, but a true win woudl be a hardware / app / full featured voice remote combo that gives you a dashboard of all apps, including cable that pulls in a full database of movies / tv listings so you can do a quick metasearch OF ALL your apps. Would be a great time saver....

10. PCRIDE

PCRIDE Agent

Speaker
    The Samsung smart TV’s have a “universal guide” and they also have the Xfinity App. The banner will show /advertise movies and you click on it, it will show all the streaming services that has the movie. Select one and it opens the App and plays the movie. First you sign into all the apps (Netflix, Prime, Hulu etc) works really nice and it searches other not widely known apps like PlutoTv, some other TV streaming apps that are free. Samsung also has its own streaming service built in.
    I have to say the Samsung TV’s controls and navigation is super simple and gives you access to everthing you need.