What's new

Tire recommendations for a '92 Camry? (1 Viewer)

John Chow

Second Unit
Any tire recommendations folks?
I'm leaning towards the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Nailgard. I really like the idea of self sealing tires since i've had nail issues in the past. Any impressions of these or other tires? I'm not looking for anything exotic or expensive, hell this is an old camry after all :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I put a set of these Michelins on my old cavalier after the wheels were stolen. They cost a bit more than something you might put on a car like that, but man what a difference they made over the stock goodriches. Road noise was less, and all around traction was much, much better. They are definitely the first tire I would consider in the future for anything they'd go on. Not that I have a lot of tire experience or anything, but I was shocked at the improvement a good set of tires can make.
When you buy the tires, I recommend you get the road hazard warranty and lifetime rotation and balance if they have it. The X Ones, as I recall, are rated for like 80,000 miles, and so the road hazard warranty would be worthwhile if you like to run over nails.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've had two sets of Michelin tires on my '93 Camry, and have been very pleased with them. We tried the Uniroyal Nailguard's on my wife's old Villager because the salesman at Belle Tire talked me into them (and there was a rebate at the time). One of the tires was bad, so I made them replace them all with Michelin's.
Anyone out there interested in buying a '93 Camry V6 XLE with a nice set of Michelins? I just bought a new Nissan Altima 3.5SE yesterday. :D

John Chow

Second Unit
Heheh, the tirerack site seems to be the website constantly recommended. I've been skimming it for the last few days or so.

Hm..so looks like people seem to like Michelins, although they generally seem quite a bit more expensive than other tires, depending on the model.

Does anyone know anything about the Michelin Xmetrics? These are the ones offered at Costco, but don't seem to show up on the michelin website. May be some kinda weird tire only sold at costco/sams type stores.

Scott,

What was the problem with the Nailguards? Was it something where you just got a bad tire or you didn't like them otherwise?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John,
Yes, I think I just got a bad Uniroyal tire. However, I really wanted Michelin tires going into the store anyway, and the store did not have anymore Nailguard tires to replace the defective tire. I think this was a sign to stick with what I was comfortable with. :)
I've put Michelin tires on as replacements on all our cars when the originals would wear out, and I've had nothing but good experiences with the brand. I currently have Michelin Symmetry tires on the Camry. I think the set before these were X-One's, but I'm not 100% sure.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Tirerack is great. I highly recommend them. You can have tires delivered from them and take them somewhere local to have mounted. Usually much cheaper than buying local.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bridgestone Potenza RE730 is a very decent tire for the price. I picked up a set for $420 drop shipped directly to my installer. I much preferred the SO-3, but was looking to spend a little less on tires this time. I'm very picky about tires, and these are doing better than I expected. Good in the wet, good enough in the dry, quiet, and wear seems good. They have a stiff sidewall, which is important to me, and they don't just "give up" at the limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks