What's new

Tips/Tricks for affixing drivers and plate amps in DIY speakers ... (1 Viewer)

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I'm currently building a DIY sub and getting closer and closer to the stage of mounting the driver and plate amp to the box, but the problem is with using bolts and nuts to do it. I'm not very fond of screws, as the MDF tends to not hold the screw after a few screw removals, and screws don't allow as much pressure for tightening as bolts do. Not to mention my driver/amp are recessed in 3/4" MDF so using screws is not a good idea right from the beginning, as there is not much for them to grab onto.
The thing that makes me think is how to mount the nut on the 'inside' of the box. I have a few ideas, like maybe cutting out small squares out of MDF, then carving a space in it for the nut, and sandwiching that nut between the two pieces of MDF and gluing it all together, but that's not very effective me thinks :) so I was wondering are there any 'gadgets' for simplifying what I'm trying to do?

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Yep it's called a T-Nut. Get them at any hardware store or Home Depot super store.
anim_utnut.gif

For tip on installing them in tight places: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/sntip43.html
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks