Tips on scanning photos mounted in an album

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Gardiner, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hi everybody,

I have a project ahead of me. I have to scan a number of very old wedding photos that are permanently mounted in an album. Each photo is covered with a plastic sheet. Unfortunately, the border of the page itselt has quite a bit of thickness, so I won't be able to put the photo (and plastic sheet) right up to the scanning bed; there will be approx. a 1/32 inch gap between the plastic sheet and the bed. I'm afraid I will get reflections off the plastic when I try to scan these. I plan to experiment with the scanning this afternoon, but if anyone has tips, or has encountered this problem before, I would appreciate any advice. Many thanks!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think you're more likely to have problems with focus than reflections.

Flatbed scanners usually work best when the image is against the glass. A gap - even a small one - can have a noticeable affect on image sharpness.

That said, it doesn't really sound like you can do much about it. I would resist the temptation to hold press the pages down with weight has you'd need it to be even and with raised corners that might not be possible.

I think you're just going to need to experiment to see what works best.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Well it turns out reflections are not a problem; the plastic sheets covering the photos are not permanently bound to the pages, so I have been able to remove them. I am getting better scans this way because the plastic sheets have spots and blemishes on them. The gap does not seem to be a problem. The images are great and the focus looks perfectly fine. Thanks for the advice, everything has turned out OK. [​IMG]