1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on scanning photos mounted in an album

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Gardiner, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hi everybody,

I have a project ahead of me. I have to scan a number of very old wedding photos that are permanently mounted in an album. Each photo is covered with a plastic sheet. Unfortunately, the border of the page itselt has quite a bit of thickness, so I won't be able to put the photo (and plastic sheet) right up to the scanning bed; there will be approx. a 1/32 inch gap between the plastic sheet and the bed. I'm afraid I will get reflections off the plastic when I try to scan these. I plan to experiment with the scanning this afternoon, but if anyone has tips, or has encountered this problem before, I would appreciate any advice. Many thanks!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think you're more likely to have problems with focus than reflections.

Flatbed scanners usually work best when the image is against the glass. A gap - even a small one - can have a noticeable affect on image sharpness.

That said, it doesn't really sound like you can do much about it. I would resist the temptation to hold press the pages down with weight has you'd need it to be even and with raised corners that might not be possible.

I think you're just going to need to experiment to see what works best.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Well it turns out reflections are not a problem; the plastic sheets covering the photos are not permanently bound to the pages, so I have been able to remove them. I am getting better scans this way because the plastic sheets have spots and blemishes on them. The gap does not seem to be a problem. The images are great and the focus looks perfectly fine. Thanks for the advice, everything has turned out OK. [​IMG]