Tips on in-wall speaker install?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jahan, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Jahan

Jahan Auditioning

I tried searching, but didn't find what I was looking for . . .

I have a pair of NHT SB1 in-wall speakers that I am going to install in my garage and integrate into my Niles Audio multi-zone system. I'm wondering what the best way to install them is to acheive optimum sound quality.

Garage construction is 2x4 framing 16" on-center with plywood and tyvek homewrap exterior covered with brick. The wall they are going in is an exterior wall. I'm using R19 fiberglass insulation with paper facing on the wall, then covering it with 5/8" drywall.

1. Should I create an "enclosure" where the speakers will be by crossing between the studs with 2x4's or MDF?

2. I would like to insulate behind the speakers to keep my garage as warm as possible. How should I go about this, and what material should I use?

Any other tips are appreciated as well.

Thanks . . .

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    When I went to NHTs website the only SB1s they showed were bookshelf speakers and not designed to be installed in wall. When you flip the speaker around do you see the back of the drivers? If they are actual in-walls there should be a template. After you hang the drywall cut a hole according to the template and the the speaker will fit flush to the drywall. I would insulate the wall.

3. Jahan

Jahan Auditioning

Oops. I meant Niles Audio AT-8000. I'd post a link, but it won't let me due to my post count. Thanks for the info.

4. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

I put Dayton Audio in wall speakers in my garage and did not use an enclosure. I do not know exactly what type of insulation I have, but it is the generic pink stuff and that does a good job of acting as an enclosure. I also ran cat5 an d 16ga 4cond wire for my Buffalo Electronics volume control. The sound is pretty good. I put the speakers in the rear wall of the garage and spread far apart. Check out: if you need any other whole house audio products.

-J