What's new

Tips on "haggling" at CC? (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I was about to buy a Panasonic TH42PX50 this afternoon but the prices at Circuit City went up from $2850 last Saturday to $3000 today. I was gonna do the "haggle" as I was holding onto a 10% off coupon from Best Buy if I join the Rewards program. I know I get another $100 more or less from BB but I am actually going to use the BB coupon for a Powerbook and maybe a Nano. Now I look pricematchedhere
and the price is at $2850. Do u guys think I can use that to my advantage? Also, would they match the extended warranty of BB at $399.99 (their's is $499.99)? I know this may seem devious but if they can do that I end up with a price only $20 higher than OneCall.
Another reason I need to do this at a CC is due to their 24 months to pay. BB has 18 months but like I said, a Powerbook and Nano from them. OneCall has only 12 months to pay and if u do the math....a little painful for me...though I can manage I guess...
So if u guys have any insight....

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Ask to speak to a manager and then just ask. The worst thing s/he can do is say no. Now you thank the manager and you turn around and start to walk away. At this point there is a good chance the manager will call you back and start to talk business.

Extended warranties are a high profit item so the chances of getting a discount just for haggling are greater if you are also buying an extended warranty.

Beware of these 12 months to pay or 24 months to pay with no finane charges. If you forget a payment or if a payment is delayed in the mail you can be hit with finance charges retroactively all the way back to the day you bought the TV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Neil White

Supporting Actor
As Allan said, be prepared to walk away. After you're done, ask for free shipping unless you intend to pick it up yourself. Do not pay their retail price. There is always room to move on the price.

Good luck.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll try that "approach".
As for those deferred payments, I've been doing them for the last 10 years and so far, I've not been late or anything. Most of the time too I get to pay them off earlier. Its just like a dictum for me....never put out cash at hand which u can invest somewhere else that might earn more. U'll never know when something might come along.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Eric
Call www.tvauthority.com and ask for Neil, Jason, Kirk, or ryan. Tell them you are a Hometheaterforum member and a client of Gregg Loewen.
Let us know how it works out. The Panny is a beautiful panel.
regards
Gregg

vinny.s

Auditioning
I was going to buy the Sony 42 rptv with a coupon from best buy on top of their sale price. But called several circuit city locations and talked to the manager at each and some said they would match with the coupon others wouldnt. So my advice is to get on the phone and give em all a call.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
not to stray too far off-topic, but i always smile when i hear stuff like this. (i've worked at cc, gg and bb for a total of about five years.)

in a nutshell, the store will not care if you walk away. the fact that you walk away may make you feel better, but i doubt the store could care less. for every one person who walks away, 20 people will stay and buy something.

anyway, i'm not saying that the stores don't deal ... just don't think you have the upper-hand. ;) besides, almost all stores have a glp program in place anyway ...

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I usually do my homework first by price checking the internet & figuring in the S&H to come up with a price I am willing to pay & then I go in & tell them I'm ready to buy but only at this price. If they say "No" then I walk & as long as your not out of the ballpark with a price believe me some store will meet the price that you want to pay.

Last year I was able to get friends the 32" Sony for under $500 when some stores wanted $700 for it. Someone once told me to figure on 20% off the list price because they are always putting TVs on sale for 10% off so push them for another 10% off :D

mikeSantos

Grip
I been successful haggling them with home appliances and have gotten great discounts, and an old friend of mines who used to work there told me if you talk to the manager and tell them that this TV is $XXX and if it is within their range they will sell it to you.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Ted, where did I say walking away was to get the upper hand or one over on the store? It's about only paying what you are prepared to pay. If the store does not meet this you walk out and find someone who will sell for your price. You do have to be reasonable of course. It's no different from bidding on eBay or the like. The advice is aimed at people who get caught up in the excitement of buying some new gear and paying over the odds as a result.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
neil -

did you happen to see my little winking emoticon after my statement? also, even though i quoted you, i wasn't referring *directly* to you.

relax bro ... we're all friends here.

ted

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Well...an an update, I wasn't able to "deal" with CC as I went ahead and got it from OneCall at about $400 less including the ext. warranty. They had an instant rebate which made it a no brainer. Problem now is there is no instant gratification. It will take 10-14 days to get here. Enuff time for me to hunt for a cheap but well made wall mount.

So as a "gift" to HTF members, I got a 10% coupon from Best Buy I won't be using. That's $300 off a $3000 item...or $1000 of a $10000 item...u do the math.

Kidding aside, thanks for the reply guys. This type of discussion is what makes HTF the best community this side of the virtual world!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks