1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips needed for theater seat restoration

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Ferry, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I am psyched! A very generous theater owner just gave me a set of three used rock-back style theater seats. (I am probably going to impose on his generosity again and ask for a few more so I can do a row of 4 and have some extra parts.)

I plan to paint and reupholster them. However, I have little experience with painting metal, and have not reupholstered theater seats in over 20 years. (A long, long time ago, I supplemented my income as a theatre usher by staying late and putting cheap vinyl over some of the seats.)

I'm looking for any tips you may have on doing such a project. Specifically, any particular type of paint? Tweed vs. Velour vs. Leather? Wood handrail restoration vs. replace with plastic cupholder handrails? Colors? (Theater is in framing stage, but I will probably go with a dark red or purple for wall color.)

Thanks!

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Jack...check out my site, I repainted my seats...and added cupholder armrest over the existing wood ones! [​IMG]

3. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Thanks Erik. Very helpful website.

4. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Anytime. [​IMG]