TIPS from a retail TV manger

Discussion in 'Displays' started by bud green, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bud green

bud green Auditioning

Some quick things I have got to throw out there after reading the passionate threads on this site.

A high quality CRT bigscreen will produce a better image than that $3500 DLP your thinking about.

You will replace bulbs and light engines faster than you think in DLP and LCD projos.

I see less defective Plasmas than LCD and DLP.

Sony breaks as much as anything else and is slower on getting parts.

Extended warranty does pay off on ANY micro display technology. I know every customer in my 600 store chain is offered it so when customers have problems and demand over the top service 6 months into ownership with no warranty purchase...I get to laugh about it in the break room.

Plasma burn in is not as a big as a deal as what people thinks.....unless you use it as a computer monitor.

Some burn in can go away on a plasma and is truely temporary.

Bang for the buck a 34" Panasonic tube HDTV has a great picture for the money.

The ONLY reason Sony and Hitachi do not do DLP is because of their stuck up "I refuse to pay a license fee" ego....hence Sony and 8MM and BetaMAX..LOL

Buy from people who are paid hourley not spiffs and comm. per sale.

DO NOT ask real retail stores to match that web price you found. Did you know Sony only has ONE authorized web dealer???? Yeah..Crutchfield. So all that other crap you see on the net is Grey goods and crooked side distrubition that leads to crappy ..IF ANY customer service and warranty.

Get your tight [email protected] budget in line with reality. Every day customers tell me a HDTV 32" for $800 is too much?? 6 Years ago an analog Cinema Series Toshiba Curve Analog cost over $1100. This is not computers people and is a constently a "better value for you vs. the retailer every year kinda business".

I may add more later but 14 years in retail electronics retail....I had to spill my guts.

Later

BG

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Yup.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You should refrain from calling this burn-in, as it is really image retention in the cells. Burn-in has to do with the wear of the phosphor itself (as it is "burned" with heat over time), and is not reversible. The temporary image retention you speak of is unrelated to phosphor wear.

4. John S

John S Producer

Feel better???? [​IMG]

It does seem your post was more of a vent, than to convey information.

Best of luck with your new Mits!!!

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Of course image retention can be more of a headache than burn in ...

Who wants to watch an image that remembers the last 4 channels you watched in the actual image?

I saw this on a couple of 50" LG plasma HD units ... ugh...

What about the non-comissioned people never being around when you need them?

Regards

6. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

I stopped reading after this comment. So do you cry when those who didn't purchase the extended warranty didn't call you with a problem?

7. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Yeah, that internet is sure a scary place, I'm certain it's near impossible to get a straight deal there. [​IMG]

Actually, I wouldn't expect a B&M store to meet an internet price. However, prices are usually negotiable, and I would expect a good B&M store to meet me part way if, in fact, the item is available for a much reduced price on the 'net (and I'm serious about buying). Treating me to a condescending and sarcastic lecture that implies I'm just a fool for looking on the internet is a good way to loose a sale.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I am not sure what the intention of your post is....... You give some goos advice but follow much of it with saracasm and putting the average customer down by saying you laugh at them when the don't have an extended waranty and want "over the top" service and say that you are sick of people with a tight a$$ budget. I am not trying to be a wiseguy but what ARE you trying to do......offer advice or put your customers down. I ask this because when I first started reading your post I was interested in what you were saying because SOME of the stuff I was interesting......then by the end I wanted to know what store you manage so I never go there........

9. Geremia P.

Geremia P. Stunt Coordinator

Is your store located in Bethlehem?

10. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. This is one store I never want to go to.

11. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Obviously, many of you have never worked retail. It does sound like a venting post more than an informational one, and I felt the "pain" immediately.

How many times do the words, "Looking for a great sounding Home Theater", "Spend no more than $300" get uttered. I have to chuckle and inform them that of the 2 prerequisits, I'll only have a problem fulfilling the second half. And on Extended Warranties/Service Plans, 6 months down the road on a vast majority of products the manufacturer won't even pay for labor, so why would the retailer do it? If you don't want to pony up for the extra coverage, fine. But, when you have a problem, I'll have to be the bad guy and let you know that when offered our future assistance you declined.

12. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Yes, it sounds like a "vent" post. I have run my own business for the last 14 years, so I can sympathize to a certain degree; dealing with the public can be stressful.

But it's that way in almost every business that involves selling products or services. BG is not unique, nor am I, but being human, we feel the need to scream every now and then.

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Actually, my first job was in retail, and I will certainly say that it was a very difficult job and VERY stressful. I used to go home every day with giant knots in my back and shoulders from stress. I have a TON of respect for people who do it for a living....ESPECIALY COMMISSION WORKERS (although many disagree with me on that one, but walk in their shoes for a day and you will see).......With that said though, I feel that my goal in reatil was to educate the customer as much as possible on a product AND the service they will get from me and the store after the purchase. This way there would be no odd questions later on if they did not by the waranty...etc. Did I still get odd requests......of course but that is the nature of the beast. I did not think they were dumba$Ses or laughed at them behind their backs. 99% of the consumers are hard working people who want to get as much as possible for their money and would like a little piece of mind after they buy something. I personaly would not shop at a place that will drop me like a bad habit if there is a problem after 6 months (depending on what the product is of course).
    So I can certainly feel for Bud and other retail workers but I have to draw the line when I hear that it is common practice to laugh at people with issues and calling someone a tight a$$ because they want to watch what they spend. Heck, a majority of us can probably be considerred tight a$$es because from what I read we all try to get the best deal possible and I am sure we all ask for unrealistic demands from time to time as well.

14. DustinLC

Those who sympathetic towards the OP, sure it's a tough business but do you want business or not. A local chain store no longer have my business simply because of such an arrogant attitude. They decided to gain me up after I refused to buy extended warranty. It's the attitude " I'm right and if you don't follow my advise, you're an idiot."

If you want to run your business with the attitude that you're always right and the customers are always wrong, it's your right. But keep in mind that not everyone is like you. Not everyone cares as much as you, some have no experience in the area and have no interest in learning more, some have loads of money, some buy a new TV every year or two, some rather be wrong than take advice from an XXXhole, and there are some who are still only use VHS and quite happy with their lives. Who are you to laugh at your customer preferences. Their money, their rights.

If you must vent, vent it to yourself for taking up such a business or job.

15. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I am curious about the preoccupation with the time frame of 6 months. It seems many salespeople have turned it into the standard length of time before a retail product fails. I was recently reminded of this trend when I accompanied a friend to buy a plasma television at a national retail chain. He had decided ahead of time that he was not going to succumb to the extended warranty push. The salesperson became visibly agitated when my friend refused to cooperate, becoming bitter and even threatening him with something to the effect of, "You're gonna be ****** when it dies in six months!" Such animosity is disturbing. I realize that customers are very difficult to tolerate, especially those that think they are educated, but still... [​IMG]

As for the frugality issue, I will opine that the more affluent customers will be more likely to be less educated about the products that they are purchasing because they have more important things to worry about and cannot bother with trivial details such as value and whatnot. Less affluent folks will have to be more mindful about where their dollars go and have more incentive to become educated about the products that they purchase. So with that in mind, just because someone approaches you with a budget does not mean that they are not to be taken seriously.

16. kurtZoom

kurtZoom Stunt Coordinator

To be honest...I don't think the guy that started this post (bud green) is actually a retail TV Manager. His only other post was on 4/16/05 regarding a recent TV purchase and how to calibrate it. I'm guessing he is more venting on his bad experience with a retail TV manager. But then again I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time.

Here is his other post

17. DustinLC

Good post VinhT

[​IMG]

Kurt, are you implying that all retail TV managers know how to calibrate their TV [​IMG].

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gentlemen, I don't see this thread going anywhere constructive. We've had our fun, so now I'm closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.