Tips for managing audio archive on PC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveF, May 31, 2005.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I plan to copy all my CDs to my PC and would appreciate suggestions to be smart about it.

I plan to rip my CDs losslessly, convert to lossless-compressed, and discard the original rips. I'll then create an additional, compressed version of the music for listening, or use with a portable player.

For extraction, CDex looks good. After that, I'm undecided.

Searching the forum, I've seen FLAC, Monkey's Audio, and WMA Lossless recommended for lossless compression. Is there any concensus as to which is the best option?

Then, I intend to duplicate the lossless music into lossy compressed form, for playback and use with a portable player. While MP3 is defacto standard, my impression and experience is that it's inferior to WMA and AAC lossy formats. But, again, MP3 will work with every player now or in the future. Any thoughts on routes for compressing the music? Will my choice of lossless encoding limit my lossy options?

Thanks!

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

iTunes can do all of this easily.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    why not try a test encode? mp3 is clearly the most supported format of them all, but if your player supports another format, let your ears decide (as many times as we have heard that). for storage purposes, i like both flac and shn for lossless audio. most of my live audio concerts are in shn format, and with the gapless output, they sound great. i guess it all depends on which portable device you have.

CJ

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I hadn't thought of using iTunes, but for the moment I'm not using it for anything and it's not really on my radar.

I'm more concerned about the lossless compression options, since once I have that, I can always batch-reencode to any lossy format, depending on my needs.

And while listening is king, if there's a strong concensus, I can save time doing testing and just run with the best solution.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    for lossless, i've had pretty good results with shn, but flac is (i believe) a sonically superior format. it also supports id tags, too.

CJ

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Is there a program out that can convert flac to mp3 or ogg? Whenever I want to encode to mp3, I have to go flac-wav, wav-mp3.