Tips For Built-In RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_N, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

I am in the planning stages for a basement refinishing project. A portion of the basement will be sectioned off as an entertainment/home theater room. My plan is to purchase a rear projection HD ready TV. Something like a Toshiba 53H71 or 57H81.
    Do any of you have any suggestions, tips, or ideas for building a RPTV into the wall such that it gives the appearance of a flat screen?
    I don't want to build it into a cabinet, but rather, have it be completely flush with the front wall. The speakers and controls of the TV need to be functional, but should be masked such that they appear as part of the wall. The idea is for a plasma tv like appearance. The room can be framed such that I have as much space behind the front wall as I need to obtain this affect.
    Any suggestions and/or pictures of your similar project would be helpful. Also, which brand of RPTV tends to work best for this purpose (i.e., screen has a nice bezel around the screen and protrudes out slightly farther than the base)?
    Thanks,
    Brent

2. David Lange

David Lange Auditioning

I know ALL about this. I have documented much of my project in this web site: http://hjem.wanadoo.dk/~wai13589/theater.html
    I build a frame around my Toshiba TW65H80 and then used acoustic panels to surface this "false wall." Worked great.
    David
    ------------------

3. David Lange

David Lange Auditioning

4. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

I converted a Bedroom into a small HomeTheaterRoom. Expanded a closet and built a platform to put my 46" Sony RPTV on. Then framed around it and carpeted the wall. Did the same thing with my "Lovan" component rack. I have access to both from the room on the other side of that wall.
    http://www.geocities.com/drruss_47/Dcp00355.jpg
    [Edited last by DougRuss on October 19, 2001 at 08:20 PM]